Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What heater wont dry out my skin? wake up sweating - horrible.

I live in Scotland

Got a fan heater from Argos

In the night it's cold

I put the heater on

I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high

(but at night time it's cold)

It totally dries my skin out

Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

Got a fan heater from Argos
In the night it's cold
I put the heater on
I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high
(but at night time it's cold)
It totally dries my skin out
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

spaces snipped

its hot cos your heater is on so high
an oil rad is no better, but less fire risk
a non electric heat source would be much cheaper
and finally why is it so cold indoors? It may be you need more
insulation

Finally a very energy efficient alt to space heating is an electric
blanket of the kind you can keep on all night. Makes getting into bed a
much nicer experience

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Mike" wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
In the night it's cold
I put the heater on
I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high
(but at night time it's cold)
It totally dries my skin out
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?
Thanks

Either the thermostat on your fan heater is turned to maximum/doesn't work,
or you are suffering from tuberculosis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
In the night it's cold
I put the heater on
I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high
(but at night time it's cold)
It totally dries my skin out
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

fan heaters are not good for you, you will end up with a bad throat because
they remove moisture leaving it dry and open to infection, either get an oil
filled heater or a halogen heater and use the thermostat to keep the
temperature stable...you only need to take the chill off the room, not get
it hot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Scotland

Got a fan heater from Argos

In the night it's cold

I put the heater on

I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high

(but at night time it's cold)

It totally dries my skin out

Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

You need a better thermostat.
Set it to about 15C.
Then get a duvet and you should be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Mike
writes
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
In the night it's cold
I put the heater on

I wake up (around 2pm)

Get up earlier

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

Turn the heating off at night and get yourself a 5'5" 37.4-degree hot
water bottle like mine - far better in all sorts of ways. Certainly
doesn't dry my skin out, that's for sure.

And mine's Scottish too as it happens!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Mike wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

Turn the heating off at night and get yourself a 5'5" 37.4-degree hot
water bottle like mine - far better in all sorts of ways. Certainly
doesn't dry my skin out, that's for sure.

And mine's Scottish too as it happens!

Bloody hell we do get soft in our dotage, don't we

ice on the inside of the windows and a couple of blankets when I was
young

I haven't turned the radiator on in the bedroom for years

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
In the night it's cold
I put the heater on
I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high
(but at night time it's cold)
It totally dries my skin out
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

fan heaters are not good for you, you will end up with a bad throat because
they remove moisture leaving it dry and open to infection, either get an oil
filled heater or a halogen heater and use the thermostat to keep the
temperature stable...you only need to take the chill off the room, not get
it hot

There speaks a man without a clue.

All heaters will 'dry' the air except those that actually add
water..like paraffin stoves..

Put a bowl of petunias in the room with lots of water .. they will
transpire and keep the RH up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:17:32 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Mike wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

Turn the heating off at night and get yourself a 5'5" 37.4-degree hot
water bottle like mine - far better in all sorts of ways. Certainly
doesn't dry my skin out, that's for sure.

And mine's Scottish too as it happens!

.....and typically tight

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Put a bowl of petunias

Oh no, not again.

--
Petunia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
I live in Scotland
Got a fan heater from Argos
In the night it's cold
I put the heater on
I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high
(but at night time it's cold)
It totally dries my skin out
Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

fan heaters are not good for you, you will end up with a bad throat
because they remove moisture leaving it dry and open to infection,
either get an oil filled heater or a halogen heater and use the
thermostat to keep the temperature stable...you only need to take
the chill off the room, not get it hot

There speaks a man without a clue.

yawn.

All heaters will 'dry' the air except those that actually add
water..like paraffin stoves..

Everyone knows this, including me, the op and everyone else, ergo it doesn't
need to be said, unless you think you are clever and everybody else needs
informing?

Put a bowl of petunias in the room with lots of water .. they will
transpire and keep the RH up.

but a fan heater is worse because of the movement of air, a normal free
standing heater that doesn't blow will simply take the chill off the room
and make it more comfortable to sleep in without taking moisture from your
throat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

If you think that radiators don't circulate air, you are even stupider
than you appear.

All a fan blown radiator does, is get the room up to temperature
quicker, that's all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If you think that radiators don't circulate air, you are even stupider
than you appear.

Stupider eh?

All a fan blown radiator does, is get the room up to temperature
quicker, that's all.

I see....thanks for clearing that up then, so a fan heater doesn't dry the
skin / throat / nose any more than every other type of heater....maybe you
should tell the OP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All a fan blown radiator does, is get the room up to temperature quicker,
that's all.

Only if it has a higher output.

It may heat it more evenly in which case it might take longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

All a fan blown radiator does, is get the room up to temperature quicker,
that's all.

Only if it has a higher output.

It may heat it more evenly in which case it might take longer.

Well actually it heats it more evenly which results in cold spots
heating up quicker and hot spots heating up slower.

I've got fan blown convectors in some rooms and rads in others. No
difference really to the final result.