Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repair or replacing a GE Spacemaker Microwave?

I have one of these guys and it has served me very well for probably
15+ years, so I have no quarrel with it.

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC
(probably a white or black model).

In any event, this morning old Betsy decided not to heat anything up.
All the bells and whistles are there, fan runs, etc, lights action,
keypad works, just no heat. So I suspect more than likely the
magnetron or xformer.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a secondary fuse I could
check on this model before I turf it? Obviously main one is good as
everything else powers on.

The second question is that I remember installing this thing and
having to adapt a hole in the wall to an outside vent etc to fit it. I
am hoping that maybe a new model of the same make would have roughly
the same vent location so I do not have to rebuild that part to put in
a new one.

Or maybe it is standard for all microwaves? Does anyone know?

Any clues or input appreciated.

TIA, BSA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/19/2011 12:55 PM, BSAKing wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a secondary fuse I could
check on this model before I turf it? Obviously main one is good as
everything else powers on.

I don't think there is a secondary fuse, I may be wrong.

The second question is that I remember installing this thing and
having to adapt a hole in the wall to an outside vent etc to fit it. I
am hoping that maybe a new model of the same make would have roughly
the same vent location so I do not have to rebuild that part to put in
a new one.

Or maybe it is standard for all microwaves? Does anyone know?

I've installed several of those and they always have optional vents out
the back or the top. Configurable with removable plates or I seem to
recall one had a slider deal on the inside that you reposition to open
either the top or rear vent. On some (if not all) you can shut them both
off and it will vent out the front or bottom.

Unfortunately the wall hangers and the top mounting holes are not always
in the same location from model to model, which means you'll be making
swiss cheese out of your wall/cabinet.

--
-Scott

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:55:22 -0800, BSAKing wrote:

I have one of these guys and it has served me very well for probably 15+
years, so I have no quarrel with it.

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC
[...]

There might exist a high voltage fuse but not always the case. If it
failed from age rather than from a short in one of the high voltage
components it's possible you wouldn't notice it failing. However if it
failed from a short you would have possibly heard a short loud hum and
the inside lamp dim before the fuse blew. There might also exist a
solenoid or triac to switch on the high voltage. If one of these failed
it would cause the symptom you are seeing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 19, 9:55*am, BSAKing wrote:

In any event, this morning old Betsy decided not to heat anything up.
All the bells and whistles are there, fan runs, etc, lights action,
keypad works, just no heat. So I suspect more than likely the
magnetron or xformer.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a secondary fuse I could
check on this model before I turf it? Obviously main one is good as
everything else powers on.

It's likely NOT the transformer, but the HV capacitor or the magnetron
could
be at fault. In either case, it's worth the cost of repair parts to
fix, but
there's high voltages involved. Consider taking it to a repair shop.

These things are heavy, alas, and you'll have some awkward moments
trying to unbolt it. If you pop the cover and see a schematic,
there will be a chance to find/replace fuses and detect loose wires
before
opening your wallet wide. BEWARE THE HV CAPACITOR, it is a metal
can (smaller than a beer can) and cannot be presumed safe until you
short its terminals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:55:22 -0800 (PST), BSAKing
put finger to keyboard and composed:

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC

Parts List and Exploded Views:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...=JVM250BV&blt=
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...VM250WV&blt=06

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 19, 12:55*pm, BSAKing wrote:
I have one of these guys and it has served me very well for probably
15+ years, so I have no quarrel with it.

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC
[...]

The original magnetron WB27x10249, if that were the problem, only
costs about $135 retail and is still available from GE. There is also
a substitute for that ; 10QBP0230, which retails for about $83 total
with tax and I could ship one with in 3-5 days, depnding on your
location, for $7.99? as I have the part in stock. In the case that you
needed to replace the rectifier (HV Diode WB27x608) and HV capacitor
(WB27x10240) as well it would only be $201.39 for the parts.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 19, 12:55*pm, BSAKing wrote:
I have one of these guys and it has served me very well for probably
15+ years, so I have no quarrel with it.

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC
[...]

BTW I can beat sears prices! You can contact me directly at;
1(609)641-1036 or visit us online at;
http://allbrandonline.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"BSAKing" wrote in message
I have one of these guys and it has served me very well for probably
15+ years, so I have no quarrel with it.

From the manual, the model number is a JVM 250 BVC or JVM 250 WVC
[...]

My first check would be the diode. WW