Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

What is the IEC 705-88 procedure for measuring microwave
oven power output?

I've googled myself silly. Only thing I found is one
Amazon book excerpt. Starts describing the procedure,
but deletes two pages out of the middle...please insert
$200 to read the entire article...thankyouverymuch.

I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT.
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT

Maybe if I write it 5 times, the message will get through.

I know how to measure it with a thermometer and a stopwatch.

What I'm asking is...
When I go to the store and look at the numbers written
on the box that state the power output per iec705,
what do THEY mean...and how does that relate to what I'm
gonna find when I use my stopwatch and thermometer.

One more time.
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT.
I'm asking how IEC705 measures power output.

Thanks, mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike"

IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

** Very secret & very mysterious .....

[...]

** All references on the net suggest that the IEC method uses a " formula "
to compute the effective microwave power level on the basis of a specified
test.

The dish of water and a thermometer method is fairly obviously not
recise - there is the heat stored in the dish itself and lost when water
vapour that is formed during the test.

PLUS heat energy is lost due to radiation and conduction from the dish as it
rises above ambient.

Seems the IEC method compensates for all these factors and you wind up with
a figure that is about 10 to 15 % more than the imprecise method.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"mike"
[...]

Thanks, the 15% number is what I was after.
Still would be nice to be able to know the procedure. Only reason
to keep stuff secret is that it's somehow misleading and can't stand
scrutiny.
Oh well, what's new...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/15/2011 6:27 AM, mike wrote:
Thanks, the 15% number is what I was after.
Still would be nice to be able to know the procedure. Only reason
to keep stuff secret is that it's somehow misleading and can't stand
scrutiny.
Oh well, what's new...

Sort of like Campbell Hausfield being able to claim
that an air compressor motor that draws 15 amps is
5 HP.

Or my favorite, watts as measured in "music power."

Jeff

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:

Seems the IEC method compensates for all these factors and you wind up
with a figure that is about 10 to 15 % more than the imprecise method.

Thanks, the 15% number is what I was after.
Still would be nice to be able to know the procedure. Only reason
to keep stuff secret is that it's somehow misleading and can't stand
scrutiny.

** It ain't actually secret - it's just well protected by copyright.

So you 'as to pay to know.

Keeps out the riff-raff who are merely curious ....

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeffrey Angus wrote:

On 1/15/2011 6:27 AM, mike wrote:
Thanks, the 15% number is what I was after.
Still would be nice to be able to know the procedure. Only reason
to keep stuff secret is that it's somehow misleading and can't stand
scrutiny.
Oh well, what's new...

Sort of like Campbell Hausfield being able to claim
that an air compressor motor that draws 15 amps is
5 HP.

Or my favorite, watts as measured in "music power."

Jeff

Or computer speakers rated '1500 WATTS!!!', yet they are powered by a
9 volt 500 mA wall wart.

Teflon coated.