Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

"mike"

IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

** Very secret & very mysterious .....

What is the IEC 705-88 procedure for measuring microwave
oven power output?

I've googled myself silly. Only thing I found is one
Amazon book excerpt. Starts describing the procedure,
but deletes two pages out of the middle...please insert
$200 to read the entire article...thankyouverymuch.

I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT.
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT
I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT

Maybe if I write it 5 times, the message will get through.

I know how to measure it with a thermometer and a stopwatch.

What I'm asking is...
When I go to the store and look at the numbers written
on the box that state the power output per iec705,
what do THEY mean...and how does that relate to what I'm
gonna find when I use my stopwatch and thermometer.

** All references on the net suggest that the IEC method uses a " formula "
to compute the effective microwave power level on the basis of a specified
test.

The dish of water and a thermometer method is fairly obviously not
recise - there is the heat stored in the dish itself and lost when water
vapour that is formed during the test.

PLUS heat energy is lost due to radiation and conduction from the dish as it
rises above ambient.

Seems the IEC method compensates for all these factors and you wind up with
a figure that is about 10 to 15 % more than the imprecise method.

...... Phil