Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I know if an amp goes both ways?

How do I know if a tv signal amplifier** will also transmit IR signals
or maybe they are converted IR signals in the opposite direction?
**Like is used to go from a VCR to an distant analog TV, especially if
there were signal-weakening splitters for other tvs in between. I'm
using either Gemini signal amps, or amp/splitters or something that
looks just like them. I want to use my IR remote control and shine
it at a target on the TV, which will then relay the signal back
through the amp and to the PVR or VCR, and allow me to change
channels, for example, from another room.

Do you know either which amps will do this, or how I can test it short
of setting up the whole setup? Or do you know what words describe
what I want, so I can google them?

Tnanks.

Background:
In May UCLAN told me about the Channelplus modulator model 5425 that
would modulate a digital tv signal to any of a 80 or 100 analog
channels, not just channels 3 or 4. No real need to look at it, but
here it is http://www.channelplus.com/product_d...?productId=225

And I was gradually getting ready to buy one when I read that models
5525 and 5545 also will also transmit IR signals back from the TV to
the tuner. And that would help me a lot, but then it occurred to me
that I'd probably have to use Channelplus's amplifier. (That's
another 150 dollars, plus it means installing home runs to every tv,
even the ones whose co-ax is snaked through the basement ceiling, and
the ones whose wires in the attic are now covered with plywood. I'm
25 years older and 50 pounds heavier than when I did this the first
time, and it took a long time then, so I'd like to not do it. Plus I'm
afraid if I enlarge the holes in the floors or ceiling with a 10"
drill bit, I'll drill into the co-ax that is already there.)

So I called Channelplus and asked them if it had to be their amp, and
instead of saying "Yes, it has to be an amp we make", he said it
depended on the voltage and amperage of the amp and they couldn't
guarantee it. That sounds like some will work, but I don't know how
to figure out which one's will.

Do you either know which amps will do this, or know how I can test it

Bali Best a Ways doffi Woodworking 0 March 23rd 08 12:20 PM
Ways and Means Gerald Ross Woodturning 30 May 17th 07 01:44 AM
3 Ways To Get Rid of Algae Your Local Pool Guy Home Repair 2 December 19th 06 07:32 PM
Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways? DeepDiver Metalworking 2 April 5th 05 12:16 AM