Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power mosfet question

I have a power mosfet that was shorted.. Due to my carelessness...

A very fine sliver of solder bridged the gate to the drain. Would this
usually destroy the said mosfet? Or something else in line with it??

Its a K3556... Is there a simple test for these? The drain pin was cut
off, but enough left to make a very fine solder bridge... ughh...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a power mosfet that was shorted.. Due to my carelessness...

A very fine sliver of solder bridged the gate to the drain. Would this
usually destroy the said mosfet? Or something else in line with it??

Its a K3556... Is there a simple test for these? The drain pin was cut
off, but enough left to make a very fine solder bridge... ughh...

Well scratch that.. If I'm holding the volt meter on the gate side of the
mosfet while starting up it will work... i guess I have to trace back and
see whats burnt up..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a power mosfet that was shorted.. Due to my carelessness...

A very fine sliver of solder bridged the gate to the drain. Would this
usually destroy the said mosfet? Or something else in line with it??

Its a K3556... Is there a simple test for these? The drain pin was cut
off, but enough left to make a very fine solder bridge... ughh...

yup. That would pretty much forward bias that fet beyond max!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

I have a power mosfet that was shorted.. Due to my carelessness...

A very fine sliver of solder bridged the gate to the drain. Would this
usually destroy the said mosfet? Or something else in line with it??

Its a K3556... Is there a simple test for these? The drain pin was cut
off, but enough left to make a very fine solder bridge... ughh...

Well scratch that.. If I'm holding the volt meter on the gate side of the
mosfet while starting up it will work... i guess I have to trace back and
see whats burnt up..

It's most likely if you didn't over bias the fet and kill it, you may
have destroyed the driving circuit since it most likely can only handle
a fraction of what is on the drain..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a power mosfet that was shorted.. Due to my carelessness...

A very fine sliver of solder bridged the gate to the drain. Would this
usually destroy the said mosfet? Or something else in line with it??

Its a K3556... Is there a simple test for these? The drain pin was cut
off, but enough left to make a very fine solder bridge... ughh...

yup. That would pretty much forward bias that fet beyond max!

Actually I got lucky.. It was ok after all.