Posted to sci.electronics.repair
parallax

Default Desoldering a power MOSFET

Hi supertechs,

I have a laptop mobo that has blown a power MOSFET feeding the 1.5V to
the processor.
I need to replace it, but I am hesitating as to what tool to choose for
the job. The board has components on both sides and overheating the
MOSFET can desolder small components on the back of the board. The back
of the MOSFET is soldered to the motherboard for better heat transfer.
Any suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pooh Bear

parallax wrote:

Hi supertechs,

I have a laptop mobo that has blown a power MOSFET feeding the 1.5V to
the processor.
I need to replace it, but I am hesitating as to what tool to choose for
the job. The board has components on both sides and overheating the
MOSFET can desolder small components on the back of the board. The back
of the MOSFET is soldered to the motherboard for better heat transfer.
Any suggestions?

Cut the 'legs' off first and remove them individually. This means little heat is
transferred to the pcb.

Removing the 'body' will be trickier but at least with the legs gone, it'll be
easier.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"parallax" writes:

Hi supertechs,

I have a laptop mobo that has blown a power MOSFET feeding the 1.5V to
the processor.
I need to replace it, but I am hesitating as to what tool to choose for
the job. The board has components on both sides and overheating the
MOSFET can desolder small components on the back of the board. The back
of the MOSFET is soldered to the motherboard for better heat transfer.
Any suggestions?

I would recommend you have someone who has done this before do it.

A laptop mainboard is not the place to be practicing your solder skills!

Senior Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax
Hi supertechs,

I have a laptop mobo that has blown a power MOSFET feeding the 1.5V to
the processor.
I need to replace it, but I am hesitating as to what tool to choose for
the job. The board has components on both sides and overheating the
MOSFET can desolder small components on the back of the board. The back
of the MOSFET is soldered to the motherboard for better heat transfer.
Any suggestions?

You will need a fairly high wattage soldering iron like a Weller which can supply quite a high temperature for a short period of time.

The other option is to de-solder each pin and then wait a few minutes to allow the component and board to cool before working on the next pin.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser

I did this on a desktop mobo following the clip and unsolder ideas mentioned
by others. I could not reattach as the original and the MOSFET stood off,
looked ugly but worked. The laptop you may not have sufficient room for an
"ugly" job.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Strange power problem with Sharp Mid-Drive VCR VC-H86 [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 November 20th 05 09:37 PM
pc power supply failure? Al Electronics Repair 9 January 23rd 05 11:15 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM