Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sy Sy is offline

Default Automotive battery charger circuit breaker.

Hi.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A automotive
battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes . The
circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one was a little
glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with threaded terminals too.
Either one would work.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sy wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A
automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes .
The circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one
was a little glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with
threaded terminals too. Either one would work.

Thanks.

You need a BI metal circuit breaker..

Just go to your local auto parts store and get a
plug breaker used for power windows etc in the upper cars..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:45:08 +0000, Sy wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A
automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes .
The circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one
was a little glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with
threaded terminals too. Either one would work.

Thanks.

Google Klixon. They make a wide variety of manual and auto reset DC
breakers. Only problem is the off time specified by the charger
manufacturer meaning it needs to stay off for a certain period of time to
allow the charger electronics to remain under a certain duty cycle.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:45:08 GMT, Sy wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A automotive
battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes . The
circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one was a little
glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with threaded terminals too.
Either one would work.

Thanks.

Uh, auto parts store?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

?
? The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes .
? The circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one
? was a little glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with
? threaded terminals too. Either one would work.
?
? Thanks.

Google Klixon. They make a wide variety of manual and auto reset DC
breakers. Only problem is the off time specified by the charger
manufacturer meaning it needs to stay off for a certain period of time to
allow the charger electronics to remain under a certain duty cycle.

Klixon was sold off by Texas Insruments long ago to Sensata

http://www.sensata.com

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/28/2010 1:45 PM PeterD spake thus:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:45:08 GMT, Sy wrote:

Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a
6A automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2
diodes. The circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets.
The old one was a little glass tube, but I've seen the type that
are square with threaded terminals too. Either one would work.

Uh, auto parts store?

I doubt you'd find one there. Most likely just get a blank stare and
"Huh? What?".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/28/2010 1:45 PM PeterD spake thus:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:45:08 GMT, Sy wrote:

Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a
6A automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2
diodes. The circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets.
The old one was a little glass tube, but I've seen the type that
are square with threaded terminals too. Either one would work.

Uh, auto parts store?

I doubt you'd find one there. Most likely just get a blank stare and
"Huh? What?".

Go to a real auto parts store, not 'Midnight Auto'. Ask for a
headlight circuit breaker. A very common part.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sy Sy is offline

On 2010-08-28 10:58, Jamie wrote:
Sy wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A
automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes . The
circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one was a
little glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with threaded
terminals too. Either one would work.

Thanks.

You need a BI metal circuit breaker..

Just go to your local auto parts store and get a
plug breaker used for power windows etc in the upper cars..

Thanks, I tried those plug-in breakers. They all seem to be type II, such that
the power has to be removed for the device to reset. I also tried the little PTC
devices, similarly they won't reset with the load still there.

Littlefuse 812006 seems to be what I need, now all I have to do is find a source
nearby.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2010-08-28 10:58, Jamie wrote:
Sy wrote:

[...]

Again, automotive circuit breakers do exactly what you want. None
require that the load be lifted to reset, they are simple thermal
devices that cool and restore the circuit.