Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Automotive battery charger circuit breaker.

On 2010-08-28 10:58, Jamie wrote:
Sy wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A
automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes . The
circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one was a
little glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with threaded
terminals too. Either one would work.

Thanks.

You need a BI metal circuit breaker..

Just go to your local auto parts store and get a
plug breaker used for power windows etc in the upper cars..

Thanks, I tried those plug-in breakers. They all seem to be type II, such that
the power has to be removed for the device to reset. I also tried the little PTC
devices, similarly they won't reset with the load still there.

Littlefuse 812006 seems to be what I need, now all I have to do is find a source
nearby.

Thanks.

Again, automotive circuit breakers do exactly what you want. None
require that the load be lifted to reset, they are simple thermal
devices that cool and restore the circuit.