Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Just occasionally, it all works out ... :-)

Been a right PITA day. One of those where everything you pick up is either
not worth repairing, or seems to get worse if you as much as bring a
screwdriver anywhere near it. And so it was with sinking heart that I put
the Technics SL-PG480 CD player on the bench. "Not playing discs" said the
ticket, and when I reached for a screwdriver, I needn't have bothered - the
owner had already kindly removed all the case screws, to save me the trouble
.... I probably should have just sighed at this point, and sent it back
where it came from, but I've always liked these, so I thought I would just
give it 5 minutes. Everything basically did what it should, except focus
search didn't take place. That's an unusual problem on one of these, so I
thought I would just whip the deck out first and have a look at the
connectors, as someone had clearly been in there before me. There was
nothing obviously wrong, so I thought I would just check the continuity to
the laser focus coils whilst I could easily get at the connections. With an
analogue meter on a low ohms range, I checked the coils. The tracking ones
were fine, and the lens deflected left or right, but the focus ones read
open, with no lens movement.

The deck fitted to these is a Philips CDM12.1 and the lens carrier and coils
are clearly visible and accessible on the top of the laser, so I had a close
look with my powerful headband magnifier. You could clearly see that one of
the superflexible tails that connect from the fixed pins that come up from
the laser flexiprint to the focus and tracking coils on the lens carrier,
was laying detached by the side of its pin. It didn't look broken - just
never soldered or soldered properly in the first place. Pointy tweezers, a
fine tipped iron, and some fine gauge solder, soon put that right, and the
lens then deflected normally when the meter was applied again. All worked
nicely, as these always do, when it was reassembled.

Makes a change to get a decent result like that, and just goes to show that
you shouldn't just get jaded with all the crap passing across your bench,
and just not bother even attempting a repair on the basis that spares ain't
gonna be available anyway ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Makes a change to get a decent result like that, and just
goes to show that you shouldn't just get jaded with all the
crap passing across your bench, and just not bother even
attempting a repair on the basis that spares ain't gonna be
available anyway ... d;~}

The irony is that, had spares been available, it would have taken longer to
fix the unit, and cost the customer more.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message
[...]

My favourite was finding an insect cocoon built into the optics section of a
Philips AZ1101 and a micro-facetted (fittingly the delicate tracery looked
as though it was part of the optics) piece of insect wing precisely in-line
of the optical path from the laser to the mirror system.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message
[...]

I once found bird **** inside of a sealed relay...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 06:32:17 -0500, Mark Zacharias ǝʇoɹʍ:

-

[...]

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair
briefs , schematics/manuals list on http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

I once found bird **** inside of a sealed relay...

Mark Z.

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA radio/turntable console.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote in message
Arfa wrote in message
[...]

On more than on occasion I found dead and desicated mice inside
microwave ovens with no apparent means of entry (or escape) I can only
assume they were manufactured in.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

*wrote in message
Arfa *wrote in message
[...]

Ron(UK)- Hide quoted text -

Inside the overall case, or actually inside the "oven"?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote in message
Arfa wrote in message
[...]

In the cabinet, among the high voltages. It was quite common to find
assorted dead insects in there, often ones not native to the UK.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

* *wrote in message
Arfa * *wrote in message
[...]

Ron- Hide quoted text -

My all time favorite was the peanut butter and bannana sandwich that
someone left in a VCR. (Problem: the tape wouldn't load)....I always
appreciated the snack. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/6/2010 11:35 AM klem kedidelhopper spake thus:

[note message TRIMMING]

My all time favorite was the peanut butter and bannana sandwich that
someone left in a VCR. (Problem: the tape wouldn't load)....I always
appreciated the snack. Lenny

I guess that's going way beyond the concept of the "cup holder" to a
"sandwich storage compartment", eh?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:21:03 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA radio/turntable console.

He supplies the motive force for the turntable. Kinda like the
Flintstones ...

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:21:03 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA radio/turntable console.

He supplies the motive force for the turntable. Kinda like the
Flintstones ...

- Franc Zabkar

LOL. Aaah ****. Thank you. I needed that.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 6 jul, 13:21, "N_Cook" wrote:

My favourite was finding an insect cocoon built into the optics section of a
Philips AZ1101 and a micro-facetted (fittingly the delicate tracery looked
as though it was part of the optics) piece of insect wing precisely in-line
of the optical path from the laser to the mirror system.

I had this exact thing earlier this year! I was working on an AIWA
system which would not read discs. was about to toss it aside when I
noticed some dirt near the laser . After carefully removing the lens
there was some kind of dead insect blocking the beam path - removed,
cleaned up, reassembled and worked fine!
why it chose precisely the most precision-made heart of the machine to
live in is beyond me...
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had this exact thing earlier this year! I was working on
an AIWA system which would not read discs. I was about
to toss it aside when I noticed some dirt near the laser.
After carefully removing the lens there was some kind of
dead insect blocking the beam path -- removed, cleaned
up, reassembled and worked fine! Why it chose precisely
the most precision-made heart of the machine to live in
is beyond me...

Good taste? The desire to live in an upscale community?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA radio/turntable console.

I've seen rodents elected to piblic office.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 7/6/2010 11:35 AM klem kedidelhopper spake thus:

[note message TRIMMING]

My all time favorite was the peanut butter and bannana sandwich that
someone left in a VCR. (Problem: the tape wouldn't load)....I always
appreciated the snack. Lenny

I guess that's going way beyond the concept of the "cup holder" to a
"sandwich storage compartment", eh?

There was a credit card commercial about things they covered,
including some kid shoving a peanut butter & jelly sandwich into a VCR.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA
radio/turntable console.

I've seen rodents elected to piblic office.

Ho-ars, too (as Gus would say).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 7, 8:38*am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:03:28 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:21:03 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA radio/turntable console.

He supplies the motive force for the turntable. Kinda like the
Flintstones ...

- Franc Zabkar

Damn, no wonder the TT styoped working after he escaped. I could never
figure that one out. Time to go to Pets-R-Us to look for a suitable
replacement. Might even check into a hamster as they live longer.

Well at least you can still get spare parts for it.....
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

b wrote in
:

I had this exact thing earlier this year! I was working on an AIWA
system which would not read discs. was about to toss it aside when I
noticed some dirt near the laser . After carefully removing the lens
there was some kind of dead insect blocking the beam path - removed,
cleaned up, reassembled and worked fine!
why it chose precisely the most precision-made heart of the machine to
live in is beyond me...

More precisely, 'why it chose that spot to die in ... '

Perhaps it was exploring and the owner tried to play something, and it got
zapped by the 'death ray' from the laser.

-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't it *nice* when you get something like this to keep you going. Wife's
monitor went dark the other day, and since I'm the official fixer in the
house, she gave it to me. No power to the LCD screen. Found two
electrolytic caps shorted and the surface mount fuse on that board blown.
They were obviously filter caps, intended to cut down on ripple, and since I
couldn't get exact replacement parts I put in something physically and
electronically larger for the job. Replaced the fuse, and she is back up
and running. Funny thing is, they fit the physical space dedicated to the
job of filter caps better than the ones that were originally in there. Not
the slightest bit of difficulty pulling the others out and putting them in.
And if *they* overheat, there's something serious going on. I got an easy
fix, and wife is happy again. What else could you ask for?

Take it easy...

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed Dave, and funnily enough, since that one "good 'un" at the start of
the week, I have had a really good run of repairs. Pretty much all stuff
with genuine problems, that were for the most part fixable with in-stock
parts, and parts actually available and reasonably priced, for the others.
Just one (and a half ! ) causing me problems at the moment ...

Arfa