Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Just occasionally, it all works out ... :-)

On 06/07/2010 17:48, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:47 am, wrote:
On 06/07/2010 14:21, Meat Plow wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 06:32:17 -0500, Mark Zacharias ǝʇoɹʍ:

wrote in message
Arfa wrote in message
Been a right PITA day. One of those where everything you pick up is
either
not worth repairing, or seems to get worse if you as much as bring a
screwdriver anywhere near it. And so it was with sinking heart that I
put the Technics SL-PG480 CD player on the bench. "Not playing discs"
said the
ticket, and when I reached for a screwdriver, I needn't have bothered
-
the
owner had already kindly removed all the case screws, to save me the
trouble
... I probably should have just sighed at this point, and sent it
back where it came from, but I've always liked these, so I thought I
would just
give it 5 minutes. Everything basically did what it should, except
focus search didn't take place. That's an unusual problem on one of
these, so I thought I would just whip the deck out first and have a
look at the connectors, as someone had clearly been in there before
me. There was nothing obviously wrong, so I thought I would just check
the continuity to
the laser focus coils whilst I could easily get at the connections.
With
an
analogue meter on a low ohms range, I checked the coils. The tracking
ones
were fine, and the lens deflected left or right, but the focus ones
read open, with no lens movement.

The deck fitted to these is a Philips CDM12.1 and the lens carrier and
coils
are clearly visible and accessible on the top of the laser, so I had a
close
look with my powerful headband magnifier. You could clearly see that
one
of
the superflexible tails that connect from the fixed pins that come up
from
the laser flexiprint to the focus and tracking coils on the lens
carrier, was laying detached by the side of its pin. It didn't look
broken - just never soldered or soldered properly in the first place.
Pointy tweezers,
fine tipped iron, and some fine gauge solder, soon put that right, and
the
lens then deflected normally when the meter was applied again. All
worked nicely, as these always do, when it was reassembled.

Makes a change to get a decent result like that, and just goes to show
that
you shouldn't just get jaded with all the crap passing across your
bench, and just not bother even attempting a repair on the basis that
spares
ain't
gonna be available anyway ... d;~}

Arfa

My favourite was finding an insect cocoon built into the optics section
of a
Philips AZ1101 and a micro-facetted (fittingly the delicate tracery
looked as though it was part of the optics) piece of insect wing
precisely in-line
of the optical path from the laser to the mirror system.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair
briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

I once found bird **** inside of a sealed relay...

Mark Z.

I once found a live rodent inside an old RCA radio/turntable console.

On more than on occasion I found dead and desicated mice inside
microwave ovens with no apparent means of entry (or escape) I can only
assume they were manufactured in.

Ron(UK)- Hide quoted text -

Inside the overall case, or actually inside the "oven"?

In the cabinet, among the high voltages. It was quite common to find
assorted dead insects in there, often ones not native to the UK.

Ron