Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default IC Package Drawing Database?

I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC Inscribed thus:

I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP,
TVSOP, etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no
drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

Thanks.

Thats your answer, grab the data sheets. ;-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 9, 1:29*pm, DaveC wrote:
I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

Thanks.

This is good.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/packaging/

Dan
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Thats your answer, grab the data sheets. ;-)

That's what I resort to, although it really would be nice if there was a
one stop shop of package drawings or dimensions. There are so many
different packages now that I can't keep track of them all.

For example this datasheet has 5 different package drawings that it calls
"Small Outline Package", all with different dimensions:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74hct244.pdf

Isn't the idea of a package "name" supposed be a single identity including
dimensions (differing, of course, in length, to accommodate different pin
counts)?

From the same manufacturer, no less...

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/packaging/

According to this source, the same package (listed in the TI datasheet as
"SOP") might a large SOIC-20:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/products/logic/packaging/soic20.html

Am I the only one confused?

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC wrote:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/packaging/

According to this source, the same package (listed in the TI datasheet as
"SOP") might a large SOIC-20:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/products/logic/packaging/soic20.html

Am I the only one confused?

Probably.

SOP = Small Outline Package

SOIC = Small Outline IC

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC wrote:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/packaging/

According to this source, the same package (listed in the TI datasheet as
"SOP") might a large SOIC-20:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/products/logic/packaging/soic20.html

Am I the only one confused?

That's another problem, there are special package types that are called
different things depending on the manufacture.

I've recently worked on some designs around TI chips in their "PowerPAD"
packages which are SOIC and SSOP equivalent but with an exposed metal
pad under the die, and of course different names. I've gone to just
ignoring all the packages included in the PCB software and drawing my
own from the datasheet of each part I use, it's less hassle in the long run.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote in
:

I've gone to just
ignoring all the packages included in the PCB software and drawing my
own from the datasheet of each part I use, it's less hassle in the long
run.

I agree, I do that too. I collect them slowly and reuse them. Considering SMT
is full of 'standards' it's amazing how there are so many, and some so loose,
that there might as well not be any.

When I saw Baron's post I saw pretty much the same thing I was going to say
when I first saw the original post. I hadn't replied, because I'd hoped that
the standards were adequately adhered to, and that someone who knows far more
than I do might point out a definitive source, but most replies here seem to
suggest that only going to the source of the part to be used is going to get
viable data for it. Maybe not even then.

Sometimes I get the bright light, the maginfier, the digital vernier scale,
and measure the damn things myself! That way I KNOW it fits.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

http://www.latticesemi.com/lit/docs/package/pkg.pdf

Thanks for that.

Just my luck: Lattice have updated that document by deleting all SOIC
packages, the ones I apparently need...

A good reference otherwise, tho.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP,
TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

Thanks.

Board houses usually adhere to the IPC standards, unless its oddball
stuff.

http://landpatterns.ipc.org/default.asp

Cheers

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 11:29:52 -0700, DaveC wrote:

I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

You need the JEDEC standards. Bless their hearts, the standards are free
upon registration.

For example, the "Plastic Shrink Small Outline Package (SSOP) Family.
R-PDSO/SSOP/SOIC" is covered by MO-137E, Mar 2010 over at
http://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/docs/mo-137e

Get thee hence to http://www.jedec.org/

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Nico Coesel wrote:
DaveC wrote:

I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

Some semiconductor manufacturers also provide package drawings. IIRC
NXP is one of them.

Diodes Inc also has a fair set.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
den den is offline

I have always had good luck finding specs at Digikey, never tried
mouser .

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=US&keywords=

Den
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC wrote in message
I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

Thanks.

Don't know if its on wwwland but the paper versions of UK RS components
catalogue have an extensive pictorial listing of types with equivalents,
then look up dimensions once the package designation is known.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC Inscribed thus:

Thats your answer, grab the data sheets. ;-)

That's what I resort to, although it really would be nice if there
was a one stop shop of package drawings or dimensions. There are so
many different packages now that I can't keep track of them all.

For example this datasheet has 5 different package drawings that it
calls "Small Outline Package", all with different dimensions:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74hct244.pdf

Isn't the idea of a package "name" supposed be a single identity
including dimensions (differing, of course, in length, to accommodate
different pin counts)?

From the same manufacturer, no less...

Thanks,
Dave

Yes it can get very confusing. The "Jedec" designations are given at
the bottom of each drawing. AFAIA that designation should identify a
package uniquely.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

IC packages are standardized by JEDEC

http://www.jedec.org/standards-docum...outlines-jep95

Christian
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:06:00 +0200, Christian Keck
wrote:

I've been searching the net for a comprehensive list of drawings of IC
packages, specifically, all things "SO" (ie, SO, SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TVSOP,
etc.). What does come up are lists of packages, but no drawings.

I need to have dimensions listed as well, similar to what is typically
provided in datasheets.

IC packages are standardized by JEDEC

http://www.jedec.org/standards-docum...outlines-jep95

That's the wonderful thing about standards, there're so many to choose from.
JEDEC stretches that even further everyone gets their own "standards".