Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default IC Package Drawing Database?

James Sweet wrote in
:

I've gone to just
ignoring all the packages included in the PCB software and drawing my
own from the datasheet of each part I use, it's less hassle in the long
run.

I agree, I do that too. I collect them slowly and reuse them. Considering SMT
is full of 'standards' it's amazing how there are so many, and some so loose,
that there might as well not be any.

When I saw Baron's post I saw pretty much the same thing I was going to say
when I first saw the original post. I hadn't replied, because I'd hoped that
the standards were adequately adhered to, and that someone who knows far more
than I do might point out a definitive source, but most replies here seem to
suggest that only going to the source of the part to be used is going to get
viable data for it. Maybe not even then.

Sometimes I get the bright light, the maginfier, the digital vernier scale,
and measure the damn things myself! That way I KNOW it fits.