Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rubber keyboard contact repair

Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm
talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc.
Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do this,
it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm
talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc.
Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do this,
it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Years ago you should have started collecting the contact sheets from
scrapped (due to redundency rather than worn out) zappers etc. Then a matter
of cut and paste and some copydex or similar to keep in place. Legends won;t
match but a small price to pay for continued functionality for someone who
is so familiar with the kit he does not need the legends anyway

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:36:57 +0100, Gareth Magennis ǝʇoɹʍ:

Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm
talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc.
Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do
this, it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I find it makes more sense to buy a new keyboard these days.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:36:57 +0100, Gareth Magennis ??o??:

Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm
talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc.
Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do
this, it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I find it makes more sense to buy a new keyboard these days.

I don't think the OP is talking about generic PC stuff.

The conductive rubber pads can be pared off any scrap keypad that has a
rubber button inlay, the best adhesive is RTV silicone rubber sealant, this
is sold in many guises - silicone basth sealant or "instant gasket" are a
couple of examples.

Definately DO NOT use copydex it smells evil and as an adhesive isn't worth
the space it takes up in the junkbox.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:12:15 +0100, ian field ǝʇoɹʍ:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Damn I didn't read that very well one did I?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm
talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc.
Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do this,
it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Buy a cheap calculator or use a damaged keyboard to furnish
conductive pieces for repair.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm
talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc.
Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do this,
it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Thanks to all. This is a largeish pad on a Drum Machine. I had a quick go
at slicing off part of the knackered pad and slicing off the conductive
nipple from a keyboard contact strip with a view to gluing some of them on.

Rapidly came to the conclusion I could not charge a customer money for a
complete bodge job I could not guarantee to work past next week. This is
the Start/Stop button which takes a hammering.

One more piece of old toot bites the dust.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I would have tried woven glass matt reinforced, moulded hotmelt glue sheet ,
with copper or brass gauze patches melted into the rear. Don't know how long
the pcb tracks would survive. Making the reinforced flexible sheet in my
tips files.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm