Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Adjusting convergence on Sony Trinitron monitor

Well, I tried cleaning the dust out of my Dell-branded Trinitron tube.
In so doing I seem to have knocked the convergence out of whack, even
though I was really careful vacuuming around the CRT.

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it cranked all
the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control, 76 for the
vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

Are there any other convergence controls I could adjust to get it
closer, like pots on one of the boards? Or how about trying to tweak the
deflection coils a tiny bit?

This monitor is on its last legs, so I'm not going to be investing a lot
(in terms of time, and $0 in money) in it. I'd just like to know if I
can get a few more weeks or months of use out of it.

Pity, really: when it worked well, this was an outstanding monitor.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:25:26 -0800
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, I tried cleaning the dust out of my Dell-branded Trinitron tube.
In so doing I seem to have knocked the convergence out of whack, even
though I was really careful vacuuming around the CRT.

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it cranked all
the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control, 76 for the
vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

Try demagnetizing it first, especially if your monitor has a built-in
degaussing button. The next step is to degauss with an external
demagnitizer. There are TV degaussing coils for this (check Ebay), but
you might be able to make do with something like a bulk tape eraser
if you already have one.

Color convergence problems will show up as red, blue or green outlines
and/or duplicate images - like when the colors don't align on newspaper
comic sections. If the ghosts you see are not in different colors,
then it is not a convergence problem. The focus control is often very
easy to unintentionally turn although a misadjusted focus control
generally causes blurriness rather than ghosts.

Cheers,

Mike Shell

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/27/2010 9:48 PM Michael Shell spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, I tried cleaning the dust out of my Dell-branded Trinitron tube.
In so doing I seem to have knocked the convergence out of whack, even
though I was really careful vacuuming around the CRT.

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it cranked all
the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control, 76 for the
vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

Try demagnetizing it first, especially if your monitor has a built-in
degaussing button. The next step is to degauss with an external
demagnitizer. There are TV degaussing coils for this (check Ebay), but
you might be able to make do with something like a bulk tape eraser
if you already have one.

No bulk eraser, but I do have a couple of tape head demagnetizers;
wonder if they'd do any good. But the monitor has a built-in degausser
anyhow.

Color convergence problems will show up as red, blue or green outlines
and/or duplicate images - like when the colors don't align on newspaper
comic sections. If the ghosts you see are not in different colors,
then it is not a convergence problem. The focus control is often very
easy to unintentionally turn although a misadjusted focus control
generally causes blurriness rather than ghosts.

It's definitely a convergence problem. I can see the colors shifting
when I adjust the on-screen convergence control, but not far enough to
eliminate the ghosts (which are definitely in different colors). The
focus is fine.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it
cranked all the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control,
76 for the vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

My ViewSonic with a Diamondtron CRT also has two on-screen convergence
controls. However, I suspect they're for tweaking. There are almost
certianly other convergence controls within the monitor. You probably kocked
one loose (so to speak) during cleaing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

.com...

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

If it does relate to degaussing, the built-in coil, while not strong enough
to fix it on one or two tries, might get the job done over the course of
time, which is to say, a certain number of degauss cycles. Sony CRT's can be
damaged by conventional hand held coils, though in practice I've not seen
this happen. I think that particular caution only applied to their larger
CRT's.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Shell wrote in

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

first,there's a difference between "convergence" and "purity".

when setting up a CRT,you first adjust purity,by displaying a red screen
and adjusting yoke magnets for even color and no green or blue areas.
But before that,you degauss with an EXTERNAL coil,as the internal coils are
not powerful enough.

Convergence is adjusted by displaying a crosshatch or dot grid and
adjusting the appropriate controls to merge the R-G-B lines or dots to make
white lines or dots.
On some sets,you may also have to use adhesive magnet strips to achieve
decent convergence in the corners.I used to do this at Tektronix on their
650 and 670 series monitors.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Zacharias Inscribed thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Simply rotating the screen 15 - 20 degrees is enough to cause colour
patches to come and go in the corners on my Trinitron tubed iiyama.
The Trinitron tubes seem to be very sensitive to any magnetic
disturbance.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

In a pinch, you can use a cheap AC powered pencil sharpener. I once
had to do this and the convergence was actually better than it had
ever been before.

Except, be careful, or you can permanently warp the nickel shield/
mask. Approach degaussing cautiously
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Well, I tried cleaning the dust out of my Dell-branded Trinitron tube.

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it cranked all
the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control, 76 for the
vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

Are there any other convergence controls

If it has static adjustments on the neck of the crt you may have
disturbed those.

I second that.

So, center the 'onscreen' convergence controls, degauss, then power up
with the back of the monitor off, display a white-grid-on-black-
background
pattern, and adjust the ring magnets (usually nearer the electron gun,
in
the form of a pair of rings with tabs). Tabs apart gives higher
field,
rotating both rings together changes the direction. It's tedious,
but
rewarding.

There also may be small magnets glued around the yoke (closer to the
screen) that do fine corrections.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Well, I tried cleaning the dust out of my Dell-branded Trinitron tube.
In so doing I seem to have knocked the convergence out of whack, even
though I was really careful vacuuming around the CRT.

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it cranked all
the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control, 76 for the
vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

Are there any other convergence controls I could adjust to get it
closer, like pots on one of the boards? Or how about trying to tweak the
deflection coils a tiny bit?

This monitor is on its last legs, so I'm not going to be investing a lot
(in terms of time, and $0 in money) in it. I'd just like to know if I
can get a few more weeks or months of use out of it.

Pity, really: when it worked well, this was an outstanding monitor.

See if it has an hstat control. If it does adjust it for good
convergence. Chuck

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you physically moved any of the ring magnets, you will have to make
sure they are put back exactly how they were before moving them. You
can make all the control adjustments you want, and the convergence
cannot go back unless the magnets are properly re-set.

There is a proper procedure to do convergence alignment that requires
proper training to get this right. This is too involved to describe in
the scope of an email. These magnets affect both the convergence and
purity alignment.

Jerry G

______________________________

On Feb 27, 11:25*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Well, I tried cleaning the dust out of my Dell-branded Trinitron tube.
In so doing I seem to have knocked the convergence out of whack, even
though I was really careful vacuuming around the CRT.

There's an on-screen convergence control, but even with it cranked all
the way over (to 100/100 for the horizontal control, 76 for the
vertical), there are still highly visible "ghosts" on screen.

Are there any other convergence controls I could adjust to get it
closer, like pots on one of the boards? Or how about trying to tweak the
deflection coils a tiny bit?

This monitor is on its last legs, so I'm not going to be investing a lot
(in terms of time, and $0 in money) in it. I'd just like to know if I
can get a few more weeks or months of use out of it.

Pity, really: when it worked well, this was an outstanding monitor.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/28/2010 11:36 AM whit3rd spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

So I'm curious about this adjustment procedure. Are you saying you can
do this--safely--with the tube powered up? How are the ring magnets
secured--screw clamps or some such?

I assume these are around the neck of the CRT, right? As long as they're
far, far away from any HV, I'm considering trying this. Nothing to lose
except this monitor which is dying anyway. So do you loosen the magnet,
move it, then retighten?

More details, pleeze.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

So I'm curious about this adjustment procedure. Are you saying
you can do this--safely--with the tube powered up? How are the
ring magnets secured--screw clamps or some such?

Techs have been doing this for 56 years with the tube "powered up". How
would you do it otherwise?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/16/2010 3:33 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

[I wrote:]

So I'm curious about this adjustment procedure. Are you saying
you can do this--safely--with the tube powered up? How are the
ring magnets secured--screw clamps or some such?

Techs have been doing this for 56 years with the tube "powered up". How
would you do it otherwise?

Wellll, I'm not a "tech" (and I see no shame in admitting it), so that's
why I'm asking.

Thanks for the confirmation, though.

- a Usenet "apology"