Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJB CJB is offline

Default Cracked Printed Circuit Board

The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

JB weld epoxy, thin jumper wire, 15 watt soldering iron and solder from
radio shack, priceless!

"CJB" wrote in message
The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"CJB" wrote in message

The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.- Hide quoted text -

Second the suggestion!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:53:24 -0800 (PST), CJB
wrote:

The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.

http://www.micromark.com/ is one place to find small tools. A
Dremel-style tool set may also come with small drills or burrs.

Could you post a picture of the damage to a site like
http://imageshack.us/ ?

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 26, 1:53*pm, CJB wrote:
The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.

There is no need to drill holes. Just scrape the solder mask off the
traces on either side of the gap and solder wire across. You don't
even need a micro tip. Flux the area and you can 'wave' solder with a
blob on a normal tip. Or, if you have access to where the traces
terminate, attach your wires at those points, and remove the trace
stubs if you are worried about making antennas.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

CJB wrote:
The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.

How many layers does the board have?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

CJB wrote in message
The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.

Ignore the broken bit other than what trace goes to where.
Trace back each track to the nearest solder point or place where you can
easily solder to the trace and take individual magnet wire "traces" to the
solder points behind the USB. Then epoxy the broken piece into placem
perhaps with reinforcement

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJB CJB is offline

On Feb 26, 8:53*pm, CJB wrote:
The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main
board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the
corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and
using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small
drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get
these. Thanks - Chris B.

Very many thanks for the tips - I shall now have a go at repairing
same. The PCB corner was snapped off when I tripped over the USB
cable. Its a weak point almost designed in to snap off. I need to
locate a micro soldering iron though - Radio Shack / Tandy no longer
trade in the UK, and Maplin don't do one small enough. Chris B.