Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A method for cleaning printer fuser rollers

Fuser rollers can develop a band of baked-on toner which is difficult
to remove because it is harder than the fuser's PTFE coating. I have
developed a cleaning method which has worked well for me so far.
First, wipe the roller with a swab or soft cloth and a few drops of
isopropanol. Next, stick a piece of packing tape onto the roller where
the toner has adhered and rub it so that it sticks well. Finally, pull
off the tape in the direction of a tangent line to the curve of the
roller so it 'snaps' off rather than peeling it off. It may take a few
tries, but the toner should come off in large pieces. A blast of cold
spray can help with stubborn deposits. It isn't necessary to remove
the roller from the fuser with this method--just work in small
sections and turn the roller a bit more each time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

alphamnemonic wrote in message
Fuser rollers can develop a band of baked-on toner which is difficult
to remove because it is harder than the fuser's PTFE coating. I have
developed a cleaning method which has worked well for me so far.
First, wipe the roller with a swab or soft cloth and a few drops of
isopropanol. Next, stick a piece of packing tape onto the roller where
the toner has adhered and rub it so that it sticks well. Finally, pull
off the tape in the direction of a tangent line to the curve of the
roller so it 'snaps' off rather than peeling it off. It may take a few
tries, but the toner should come off in large pieces. A blast of cold
spray can help with stubborn deposits. It isn't necessary to remove
the roller from the fuser with this method--just work in small
sections and turn the roller a bit more each time.

I've only ever had problemn with toner build up on the thermal sensor which
can lead to insulated sensor and excess heat in fiuser and then toner build
up on the roller, do you have wrong toner formulation or temp?

Now for the next problem repairing scratches on OPC drum and scratches on
the fuser drum coating due to paper separators