Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default [OT] PC Hardware Problem

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:58:18 -0600
Tim Wescott wrote:

One of my boxen runs for a while, then (in Linux at least) kernel panics
and resets (in Windows it resets, but I haven't stood over it to know if
Windows notices the problem). My kid and I were working on it today to
reinstall Ubuntu on the theory that the software was just royally
screwed, which is when I noticed the kernel panicking.

Check the BIOS settings, and if possible alter them (memory timing, CPU
speed, etc.) to use more conservative settings. If the BIOS settings were
not improper (overclocking) and the problem goes away, don't expect it
to be a permanent fix as the faulty part is likely to continue to
deteriorate until even the more conservative settings will not keep
it stable.

The next thing I would do is buy/get one new memory module. Then, run on
just that one for awhile. If the problem does not happen at all, one of
your original memory modules is probably bad. Reintroducing them one
by one should reveal the troublemaker.

You can use a hair dryer (watch your operating temps, don't over do
the heat) and freeze spray on the CPU and main chips to see if one
is thermally sensitive.

You can try pulling cards and see if one is causing problems on the
power supply or bus, but I have not see cards cause problems like this
often in practice (it usually shows up as problems related to the
function of the card).

The next thing I would do is swap out the power supply.

What remains is problems with the onboard chips or electrolytic
capacitors which probably means a new motherboard is in order. If you
want a recommendation here, I've had good experiences from those from
Tyan.

I have found that compiling a Linux kernel:

http://www.kernel.org/

can present a more intensive test than many memory test routines,
although I would still suggest you try them. IMHO, a machine should
not be put into service until it can show that it can compile
a kernel a few times after being fully warmed up (run for a
couple hours before compiling).

BTW, I'm CCing this to sci.electronics.repair as that is a better
place to ask this.

Cheers,

Mike Shell

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default PC Hardware Problem

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

How old is the board? Bulging caps? Flaky power supplies mimic lots of
othe problems,