Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Durability of flash memory cards

/
A COUPLE have been reunited with pictures from a camera they dropped
overboard on an Atlantic cruise, thanks to an Oxfordshire woman.

South Africans Barbara and Dennis Gregory were en route from New York to
Southampton on the Queen Mary 2 in 2008 when they dropped their camera in
the ocean.

But 16 months later Spanish fisherman Benito Estevez found the camera in his
nets with the photos still on the memory card.
/

Mrs Gregory, 53, said: "I remember the camera getting lost. We were about a
day out from Southampton sitting on deck when somebody shouted out there
were dolphins.

"We jumped up and rushed to the side and it happened - Dennis didn't have
the camera strapped round his neck and it slipped out of his hands.

"It literally bounced off his lap, across the deck and into the water with
hardly a splash and it was gone.
/
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/hea..._reunited_with
_lost_photos/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That's interesting. I haven't had an SD card fail that I recall.

How do you define "failure"? Malfunction after abuse? A well-sealed card
might continue to operate even after a salt-water dunking, and a
poorly-sealed card after same, followed by a thorough rinsing in fresh water
(then by a drying).

Of course, the memory cells can only be written to and erased a finite
number of times. Each card supposedly has its own internal OS that handles
"leveling" -- seeing to it that the cells are written to and erased evenly.
Even so, I let my camera cards fill up before transferring their contents to
a hard drive or Zip disk. Then I erase and reformat the card.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
That's interesting. I haven't had an SD card fail that I recall.

How do you define "failure"? Malfunction after abuse? A well-sealed card
might continue to operate even after a salt-water dunking, and a
poorly-sealed card after same, followed by a thorough rinsing in fresh
water
(then by a drying).

Of course, the memory cells can only be written to and erased a finite
number of times. Each card supposedly has its own internal OS that handles
"leveling" -- seeing to it that the cells are written to and erased
evenly.
Even so, I let my camera cards fill up before transferring their contents
a hard drive or Zip disk. Then I erase and reformat the card.

Interesting that you reuse the cards. Although I transfer my images to the
computer for display and manipulation, I let my SD cards fill right up, and
then just archive them. They thus become the electronic equivalent of all my
old 'negs' from when I used a 35mm SLR. SD cards are now so cheap that it
seems pointless to reuse them, when they can serve as the primary backup for
all of your photos.

Arfa