Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Duchess

Default Memory foam durability; your experiences?

it might feel good for a time but it does crumble and fall apart with wear.

Pillows can be changed frequently enough but a mattress far more of an expense
and should be picked to last.

Not worth the cost as far as I am concerned.

I bought a latex mattress with a 4" topper of memory foam from
www.foamorder.com 7 years ago or so. I'm about 200#, and the memory foam
gradually developed a sag in the center, I made pillows out of the ends and
threw out the rest. But, it was nice while it lasted. Gave the latex
mattress to a friend in need, it's like new.
Dunno what density the memory foam was, it's whatever www.foamorder.com has,
but if the stuff you get is like theirs, I'd expect it to start to show wear
in a year, and need to be replaced in five.

Nicole H

I've had a topper 2in for several years now-- at least 3. It holds up
great. We turn it frequently (i have it on top of a feather bed) and there
have been no problems.
I paid 200$ for a king size 2in topper. I would recommend a thicker topper
if you can afford it.

Nicole
"Julie" wrote in message
Cross-posted, follow-up set to misc.consumers.house

I'm posting in this forum because there has been previous discussion here

of
memory foam products, so I'm hoping that some of you might be able/willing
to answer some questions. DH weighs something in the ballpark of 220 lbs.
I weigh 136 lbs. I'm considering buying a Tempurpedic (or other memory
foam) bed or topper; I have their pillow and love it. However, both the
beds and toppers are expensive and I'm concerned about how long they last.
So my question is, how long does a Tempurpedic (or any memory foam

product)
last?

I would love to hear from everyone who has a memory foam bed or topper

who's
willing to respond:

1. Is it a bed or topper?
2. How long have you had it?
3. Any problems with it over time and if so, what are they? Or is it
staying just as good as when you got it?
4. What brand is it/where did you get it? (Any other details also

welcome,
like density and/or model, if any)
5. If your experience indicates that the user's size has anything to do
with memory foam durability, I'd be interested to know that, too.

Many many thanks in advance for any and all info.

Julie C.

Ken Schumm

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 01:57:12 GMT, wrote:

I bought a latex mattress with a 4" topper of memory foam from
www.foamorder.com 7 years ago or so. I'm about 200#, and the memory foam
gradually developed a sag in the center, I made pillows out of the ends and
threw out the rest. But, it was nice while it lasted. Gave the latex
mattress to a friend in need, it's like new.
Dunno what density the memory foam was, it's whatever www.foamorder.com has,
but if the stuff you get is like theirs, I'd expect it to start to show wear
in a year, and need to be replaced in five.

I was thinking of buying a Tempurpedic but when I asked them what
their 20 year warranty covered they were evasive. They mailed me a
copy of the warranty and it specifically *excludes* any sags in the
foam up to 3/4" deep. Since sagging is about the only thing that can
go wrong with a mattress their warranty is almost worthless.

Luke

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:03:43 -0700, Ken Schumm
wrote:

[snip quote]
I was thinking of buying a Tempurpedic but when I asked them what
their 20 year warranty covered they were evasive. They mailed me a
copy of the warranty and it specifically *excludes* any sags in the
foam up to 3/4" deep. Since sagging is about the only thing that can
go wrong with a mattress their warranty is almost worthless.

A foam mattress, which is all a Tempurpedic is (two pieces of foam
really, a 3"-4" or so thick "memory" foam slab on top of a 6" or so
thick urethane foam slab, both of which you can buy elsewhere without
the Tempurpedic name for much less [search Google]) can mildew, rot,
have bugs, have fungus, disintegrate, crumble, harden, and probably a
bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now, aside from just sag,
which foam doesn't really do anyway - it indents, that is over time
foam loses its memory and will not "bounce" back. So that may be what
all the warranty covers. A 3/4" indent isn't much, and in my limited
experience is common with "memory" foam which takes a looooooong time
to bounce back, which seems to be what so many like but is the main
reason I can't stand the stuff. Plain jane urethane's pretty good as a
mattress, though.

Cheers!

--
Luke

Fuzzy Logic

[posted and mailed]

"Julie" wrote in
:

Cross-posted, follow-up set to misc.consumers.house

I'm posting in this forum because there has been previous discussion
here of memory foam products, so I'm hoping that some of you might be
able/willing to answer some questions. DH weighs something in the
ballpark of 220 lbs. I weigh 136 lbs. I'm considering buying a
Tempurpedic (or other memory foam) bed or topper; I have their pillow
and love it. However, both the beds and toppers are expensive and I'm
concerned about how long they last. So my question is, how long does a
Tempurpedic (or any memory foam product) last?

I would love to hear from everyone who has a memory foam bed or topper
who's willing to respond:

1. Is it a bed or topper?

Mattress

2. How long have you had it?

3 Years

3. Any problems with it over time and if so, what are they? Or is it
staying just as good as when you got it?

As good as new.

4. What brand is it/where did you get it? (Any other details also
welcome, like density and/or model, if any)

http://www.fdyfurnitureinteriordesi..../foamproducts/

I believe ours is 5 inches of regular foam topped with 3 inches of M foam.
We got a king size for about $800CDN. Previously I had owned a water bed
for ~15 years.

5. If your experience indicates that the user's size has anything to do
with memory foam durability, I'd be interested to know that, too.

Haven't noticed. I am ~180 lbs.
louise

In article ,
says...
[...]

this doesn't relate directly to what you asked, but I have
been using a tempurpedic neck pillow for about five years.
I have recently begun to wonder whether it doesn't ever
come back fully anymore and whether it isn't a little
softer than it used to be.

Have you had that experience with your pillow?

Louise
Julie

I've had my Tempurpedic pillow something like 2 to 2.5 years. So far I
still like it, but it DOES seem to me like it's not quite as resilient as it
was at first. It's not a very large difference, but it does seem slightly
less supportive than it did at first.

Julie C.

[Louise wrote:]
this doesn't relate directly to what you asked, but I have
been using a tempurpedic neck pillow for about five years.
I have recently begun to wonder whether it doesn't ever
come back fully anymore and whether it isn't a little
softer than it used to be.

Have you had that experience with your pillow?

Louise

"louise" wrote in message
In article ,
says...