Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default More on Sony KV-1380R with shrinking picture

Just saw the picture shrink and the HV drop from 25KV down to 20KV.
Found what appears to be the regulator, which appears to have already
been replaced and will have to find the output terminal and watch what
it does when the trouble reappears. Did find out that just clicking
the power button off and then back on, within 10 seconds or so, the
picture returned to normal and the HV went back up to 25 KV. More
detective work to do. Regulator has markings STR 30135 6NO1. Five
terminals, only 3 have connections, other two terminals may be for
conducting heat out of the unit.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 30, 9:49*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
Just saw the picture shrink and the HV drop from 25KV down to 20KV.
Found what appears to be the regulator, which appears to have already
been replaced and will have to find the output terminal and watch what
it does when the trouble reappears. *Did find out that just clicking
the power button off and then back on, within 10 seconds or so, the
picture returned to normal and the HV went back up to 25 KV. *More
detective work to do. *Regulator has markings STR 30135 6NO1. *Five
terminals, only 3 have connections, other two terminals may be for
conducting heat out of the unit.

Seems odd. I thought it was agreed that a drop in HV would result in a
larger, but dimmer, picture.

Perhaps the HV is being dropped *because* the picture is shrinking.

Sylvia.

I agree, it is driving me up the wall, but I have so many other things
going on I can't just sit there and wait for something to happen. If
the lower HV coincides with a reduced drive to the deflection coils
and at the same time the picture is blanked out during horizontal and
vertical retrace as before, you would expect to see some change in
brightness, but the picture size would be dependent on whether the
reduced deflection current or the reduced high voltage dominated.
Will look some more this afternoon if I don't have to go out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

Will look some more this afternoon if I don't have to go out.- Hide quoted text -

Just found that the output of the voltage regulator drops when the
picture shrinks. The regulator stops passing any current. There is a
200 ohm 20 w resistor across the input/output of the voltage
regulator,m and that is the only source of B+. If I parallel a 33 ohm
resistor across the 200 ohm resistor, the B+ comes back up and the set
works perfectly. There is only a slight (not visible around the edges
of the picture) shrinkage when the voltage regulator dies. But, with
the resistor permanently in place, the regulator does not die, as
apparently the 33 ohm resistor reduces the power dissipation in the
regulator to the point where it does not die. It is not a solution I
would use for a paying repair customer, but for a garage tv for me it
will be fine, I will have to check the 33 ohm resistor for heating
before I put the set back together. I'd replace the regulator, but
they are obsolete and I don't feel like making the effort to try to
find a replacement for a garage tv.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

WINDOZE MAIL AGAIN FAILING TO QUOTE PROPERLY.

[...]

I'm still thinking 33uF 160v capacitor...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 2, 7:09*am, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 31 2009, 10:37 am, "hr(bob) "

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

Mark:

Can you give me an approximate location or designation for that cap, I
can't seem to find one of that size? This definitely seems to be the
regulator dying as the input voltage to the regulator stays constant
or goes up very slightly when the regulator appears to die, and the
paralleling of the resistor reducing the load on the regulator and
thus the heat dissipation seems to allow the regulator to continue to
work. The regulator is not the original, I can see the resolder marks
on the pwb. I may try remounting the regulator on the heat sink and
cooling the heat sink when the resistor is not paralleled to see if
that has any effect. Appreciate your responses, and also the good
advice you give here, What is your background?

Bob H
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jan 2, 7:09 am, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 31 2009, 10:37 am, "hr(bob) "

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

Sorry,

I'm not the major expert around here on old Sony's but I've heard of it so
many times, and actually found a couple myself - I know it was extremely
common on several of the old Sony's.

I tried looking on the servicer's website for a schematic but the model is
too old. Sony has schems for many older models there, but not this one.

The one I remember most recently would have been closer to the rear of the
set, maybe 3 or 4 inches from the rear edge of the circuit board, maybe a
bit right of center as viewed from the rear.
Black in color. Fairly large, caps were larger back then. It's not a
particularly large or complex set - shouldn't be too hard to locate.
I think they used one in the standby area of the power supply, and one in
the vertical circuit, or maybe it was the 130 volt line filter...

Once removed from the board, one could often see electrolyte residue on the
underside of the cap.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 2, 3:32*pm, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Jan 2, 7:09 am, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 31 2009, 10:37 am, "hr(bob) "

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

I'll take one more look, if I can't find it I'll put the resistor in
and just enjoy the tv with stereo sound in my workshop. Altho there's
not much on tv that stereo sound can help. Thanx for the help.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Jan 2, 7:09 am, "Mark Zacharias"

[...]