Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cerwin Vega Sub Woofer -- buzzy distortion

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap -- no voice coil rub. Just putting my hand near the
speaker causes a slight humming, however. The gain of the unit seems
OK, it gets pretty loud, but the louder you turn it the louder the
distortion gets. I've taken to turning the unit off because even when
it's getting no signal it will start to hum and buzz sometimes. Not a
60 cycle sounding hum, a buzzy distortion.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Paul
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lovguitar wrote:
I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap -- no voice coil rub. Just putting my hand near the
speaker causes a slight humming, however. The gain of the unit seems
OK, it gets pretty loud, but the louder you turn it the louder the
distortion gets. I've taken to turning the unit off because even when
it's getting no signal it will start to hum and buzz sometimes. Not a
60 cycle sounding hum, a buzzy distortion.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Paul

Bad (intermittent oscilation ) powersupply triggered by
60(120)Hz ripple current?
Or the same somewhere in the amplifiers?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:03:24 -0800 (PST), Lovguitar
wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

no voice coil rub. Just putting my hand near the
speaker causes a slight humming, however. The gain of the unit seems
OK, it gets pretty loud, but the louder you turn it the louder the
distortion gets. I've taken to turning the unit off because even when
it's getting no signal it will start to hum and buzz sometimes. Not a
60 cycle sounding hum, a buzzy distortion.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Properly test the speaker.

Monitor the power supply rails while increasing the volume.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Wow that's a really idiotic reply seeing the OP is a guitar player and
not a scientist.

In reality the mechanical manipulation of the speaker cone is a valid
fundamental test. Next test would be to subsitute the amp. The result
should be obvious.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Just goes to show what you know about service work then ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peter Dope"

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

** It's a valid test procedure and perfectly "scientific".

Like the majority of test procedures, it is not *absolute* - but if the
device fails the test you have your culprit.

However, it passes the test, there are other tests that may need doing.

It is possible to perform a very large number of tests on a loudspeaker,
not one of which conclusively proves it has no faults.

But if the OPs test is failed, then none of them need doing.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Lovguitar"
I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap -- no voice coil rub. Just putting my hand near the
speaker causes a slight humming, however. The gain of the unit seems
OK, it gets pretty loud, but the louder you turn it the louder the
distortion gets. I've taken to turning the unit off because even when
it's getting no signal it will start to hum and buzz sometimes. Not a
60 cycle sounding hum, a buzzy distortion.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

**Yep - remove the woofer and connect the leads from the amp to another
( known good) speaker.

Also try the woofer with another amplifier - even a guitar amp will do.

Leads with alligator clips at each end are very handy for this.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Wow that's a really idiotic reply seeing the OP is a guitar player and
not a scientist.

**** off then. If he's a guitar player, he should not be trying to fix
electronics, right?

In reality the mechanical manipulation of the speaker cone is a valid
fundamental test. Next test would be to subsitute the amp. The result
should be obvious.

It's obvious that you have contributed NOTHING to this thread, and I
did give him good advice.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:02:22 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Just goes to show what you know about service work then ...

Arfa

Clearly more than some people (I'll exclude you, since you do know
what you are doing.) bottom line is that that test is very limited,
and won't show the problem that he's experiencing which is distortion
at higher volume levels...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:02:22 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Just goes to show what you know about service work then ...

Arfa

Clearly more than some people (I'll exclude you, since you do know
what you are doing.) bottom line is that that test is very limited,
and won't show the problem that he's experiencing which is distortion
at higher volume levels...

OK, I'll give you that, but the test will pick up most raspy distortion
problems that are to do with the speaker itself. Sometimes, however, the
problem can be due to mechanical resonances which only show up at high drive
levels, in which case the push - pull test will, as you rightly say, reveal
absolutely nuffink ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PeterDope"

Clearly more than some people (I'll exclude you, since you do know
what you are doing.) bottom line is that that test is very limited,
and won't show the problem that he's experiencing which is distortion
at higher volume levels...

** On the contrary - the OP spoke of a " buzzy distortion " with NO signal
going through the unit.

Given that the speaker is not poling against the magnet structure nor has
loose turns on the voice coil ( his tap and pull test shows that) the odds
are very high that the problem is with the driving amp.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Wow that's a really idiotic reply seeing the OP is a guitar player and
not a scientist.

**** off then. If he's a guitar player, he should not be trying to fix
electronics, right?

In reality the mechanical manipulation of the speaker cone is a valid
fundamental test. Next test would be to subsitute the amp. The result
should be obvious.

It's obvious that you have contributed NOTHING to this thread, and I
did give him good advice.

You gave the OP an ear full of hateful, self-righteous spew.

No, I told him his test was flawed, then suggested what he should
do... The self-righteous spew wasn't mine... OF course one of the
proud flamers thought it woudl be funny to snip off the helpful advice
I gave, and leave what they felt was not helpful...

So again: check with a known good speaker, if it still distorts
monitor the power supply rails while the symptoms exist.

So if people don't like that advice, and think it is hateful or
self-rightous, well tuff ****.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a Cerwin Vega HT-S12A subwoofer that has begun making an
electronic distortion. The speaker itself seems fine when I do a push
pull and tap --

Wow, that's a really good scientific test...

Wow that's a really idiotic reply seeing the OP is a guitar player and
not a scientist.

**** off then. If he's a guitar player, he should not be trying to fix
electronics, right?

In reality the mechanical manipulation of the speaker cone is a valid
fundamental test. Next test would be to subsitute the amp. The result
should be obvious.

It's obvious that you have contributed NOTHING to this thread, and I
did give him good advice.

You gave the OP an ear full of hateful, self-righteous spew.

No, I told him[SLAP]

Be gone child. I have nearly 4 decades in pro audio so don't insult my
intelligence with your mouth full of ****.

I have as much experience as you do, and as long as you snip the valid
advice I give, leave your flames and ****, you look like one big ****
head. So your advice back to you: be gone, you are acting like a
child, altering my text in quoted sections to suit your childish
attitudes and basically just ****-off, you are trolling, and poorly at
that.

Now for the last time: test with a known good speaker, and monitor the
power supply rails as a starting point. And, meathead, don't bother
replying, and if you do reply DONOT alter my comments as you did
above. Now, **** off.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have[SLAP]

Then show your maturity you blabbering Fool.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha... Yea, right like you have showm maturity...

At least I don't alter other people's words in quoted sections,
changing things to make a meathead post seem reasonable...

I'm tired of you, kid. Go waste someone else's time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

Stop it boys ... d :-\ )

Arfa

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:13:04 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

Aw come on now Arf. I haven't had to bitch-slap one of these 'full of
their own ****' posers in a long time.

Funny though how it keeps replying as if some magical force compells
it to press the read button when my posts are highlighted.

OK sah! Carry on that man !

Arfa