Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Nedd a new attic antenna? Amplified.

My old amplified antenna in the attic has failed, and I don't think I
can fix it.

I would buy a new amplified antenna, but so far, the ones I see are
advertised iiuc like the digital age has not arrived. Maybe I
should wait until they are selling antennas that are really designed
for digital???

Two say, "Has FM trap so strong FM signals won't interfere with
channels 2 to 13. But iiuc, there's either no or no special
likelihood that channels 2 to 13 are anywhere near the FM frequencies
anymore, right?

The outdoor non-amp antennas have lots of elements and look just like
they used to, but aren't those elements tuned to old VHF channels,
whose frequencies aren't in use anymore?

Or am I confused and what they are selling now is as good as it will
get any time soon?

(I don't have HD or large screen tvs and don't plan to get them.

Right now, not counting the array of weather channels, I'm getting 10
stations in Baltimore and DC with just a 7 foot single strand of wire
stuck into the coax connector on back of the DVDR-with-hard-drive, and
that would be enough if there weren't at least 6 others I think I
could get just by having a better antenna.)

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:47:12 -0500, mm
wrote:

My old amplified antenna in the attic has failed, and I don't think I
can fix it.

I would buy a new amplified antenna, but so far, the ones I see are
advertised iiuc like the digital age has not arrived. Maybe I
should wait until they are selling antennas that are really designed
for digital???

A good antenna doesn't care if the signal is digital.

Two say, "Has FM trap so strong FM signals won't interfere with
channels 2 to 13. But iiuc, there's either no or no special
likelihood that channels 2 to 13 are anywhere near the FM frequencies
anymore, right?

Channel six usually is the only TV channel that may be affected by FM
radio.

The outdoor non-amp antennas have lots of elements and look just like
they used to, but aren't those elements tuned to old VHF channels,
whose frequencies aren't in use anymore?

The same frequencies are in use, hence the same antennas can be used.

Or am I confused and what they are selling now is as good as it will
get any time soon?

I'll bet better antennas were available before.

(I don't have HD or large screen tvs and don't plan to get them.

Right now, not counting the array of weather channels, I'm getting 10
stations in Baltimore and DC with just a 7 foot single strand of wire
stuck into the coax connector on back of the DVDR-with-hard-drive, and
that would be enough if there weren't at least 6 others I think I
could get just by having a better antenna.)

Thanks.

Best bet is to get any antenna outside with as much height as
reasonable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My old amplified antenna in the attic has failed, and I don't think I
can fix it.

I would buy a new amplified antenna, but so far, the ones I see are
advertised iiuc like the digital age has not arrived. Maybe I
should wait until they are selling antennas that are really designed
for digital???

Two say, "Has FM trap so strong FM signals won't interfere with
channels 2 to 13. But iiuc, there's either no or no special
likelihood that channels 2 to 13 are anywhere near the FM frequencies
anymore, right?

In your area, channels 7, 8, 12, and 13 are indeed still transmitting
near the FM frequencies. These channels chose to put their digital
signals on their old analog frequencies, rather than moving up into
the UHF band.

The outdoor non-amp antennas have lots of elements and look just like
they used to, but aren't those elements tuned to old VHF channels,
whose frequencies aren't in use anymore?

In some areas of the country, digital TV is entirely in the UHF band.

In quite a few areas, digital TV also uses the VHF high-band
frequencies (the same frequencies formerly used for analog channels 7
through 13). You're in one such area.

In a few areas of the country, there are still some digital TV
stations operating in the VHF low-band (the frequencies formerly used
for analog channels 2 through 6).

You'll tend to find the VHF bands in use in urban areas (especially
the east coast) where there are a lot of channels operating, in
relatively close proximity, and there isn't enough spacing between
transmitters to allow everyone to operate in the UHF part of the band.

Before The Big Day, all of the digital TV channels were operating in
the UHF band (on the "transition" frequencies), and a UHF-only antenna
was sufficient to get all of the digital channels in any given area.
The multi-bay bowtie-and-reflector "digital TV" antennas were sold for
this sort of operting environment.

On The Big Day, some stations moved their digital signals down to the
VHF bands - typically, to the frequency on which they had previously
run their analog signal.

This meant that some people who had previously been getting channels
(on their "digital TV" UHF-only antennas) lost one or more channels,
because the signals had moved to lower frequencies on which the small
UHF antennas don't work very well.

Or am I confused and what they are selling now is as good as it will
get any time soon?

Well, what sort of antenna you want / need will depend on the channel
plan in your area. In some areas, you still need a full-sized VHF/UHF
antenna (e.g. a log-periodic) to get all local channels well. In
other areas, a UHF bowtie-and-reflector antenna has all the frequency
coverage you need.

The page at http://dtv.gov/stationlist.htm will give you a list of all
of the full-power stations in your area. The "virtual" channel number
is the one you see on the screen and in the guide. The "digital"
channel number is the actual frequency on which the transmission is
taking place. If any "digital" channel numbers for stations you want
to receive are 13 or below, you'll need at least some VHF sensitivity
in your antenna. If they're 6 or below you'll need VHF low-band (i.e.
a traditional full-aized antenna).

On a quick look, it appears that you'll want VHF high-band (one
Baltimore station and three DC stations are in the channels 7-13
range) but I don't see any VHF low-band.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

There aint no digital antennas.
The received signal might be used for digital purposes,
but that does not make it digital.
So just get an antenna for the required frequency band.
That should solve it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sjouke Burry wrote in
:

mm wrote:
My old amplified antenna in the attic has failed, and I don't think I
can fix it.

I would buy a new amplified antenna, but so far, the ones I see are
advertised iiuc like the digital age has not arrived. Maybe I
should wait until they are selling antennas that are really designed
for digital???

Two say, "Has FM trap so strong FM signals won't interfere with
channels 2 to 13. But iiuc, there's either no or no special
likelihood that channels 2 to 13 are anywhere near the FM frequencies
anymore, right?

Uh,the FM channels are -between- TV Ch.6 and Ch.7.
there's still TV stations broadcasting in the VHF band.
and a too-strong(overamplified) FM station can cause intermodulation
products in/near the freqs you want.

The outdoor non-amp antennas have lots of elements and look just like
they used to, but aren't those elements tuned to old VHF channels,
whose frequencies aren't in use anymore?

Or am I confused and what they are selling now is as good as it will
get any time soon?

(I don't have HD or large screen tvs and don't plan to get them.

Right now, not counting the array of weather channels, I'm getting 10
stations in Baltimore and DC with just a 7 foot single strand of wire
stuck into the coax connector on back of the DVDR-with-hard-drive, and
that would be enough if there weren't at least 6 others I think I
could get just by having a better antenna.)

google for the homemade DTV antenna(UHF) from makezine;
coathanger wires,screws,washers,a small board,and a balun.
simple to make,works well.

Thanks.

There aint no digital antennas.
The received signal might be used for digital purposes,
but that does not make it digital.
So just get an antenna for the required frequency band.
That should solve it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:37:01 -0800, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave, and thanks everyone.

I appreciate all the info.

I know that the antenna doesn't care if the signal is analog or
digital, but it does acar about frequencies. But I was mistaken about
VHS not being used anymore, so than you for clearing that up.

here was also a third thing in some of the ads that seemed to me to
be irrelevant now, and yet they mentioned it, but I wasn't making a
list when I saw it and I forget now.

But if I can't get my current amplified antenna, or another one
working again, I'll buy another one soon, since no new improvement is
on the horizon. The semicicular ring one I took off a trashed
sateliite dish seemed to be working a little bit since I got channel 9
for the first time, but I have to reconnect it.

Like I say, I'm getting ten stations now, and of the six I might get
in the future, 3 are DC's version of NBC, CBS, and Fox, and one is
another verions of MPT. Most of the time they play the same programs
as stations I get now, but not always. I lengthened my wire last
night from 7 feet to 13 feet but it didn't bring in anything new.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote in
:

mm wrote:
My old amplified antenna in the attic has failed, and I don't think I
can fix it.

I would buy a new amplified antenna, but so far, the ones I see are
advertised iiuc like the digital age has not arrived. Maybe I
should wait until they are selling antennas that are really designed
for digital???

snipped

Right now, not counting the array of weather channels, I'm getting 10
stations in Baltimore and DC with just a 7 foot single strand of wire
stuck into the coax connector on back of the DVDR-with-hard-drive, and
that would be enough if there weren't at least 6 others I think I
could get just by having a better antenna.)

google for the homemade DTV antenna(UHF) from makezine;
coathanger wires,screws,washers,a small board,and a balun.
simple to make,works well.

Try:

http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/C...V_antenna.html

http://tinyurl.com/coat-hanger-antenna
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 28, 8:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Go here to find out what is recommended for your area.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I can tell you we live 35 miles from Mt Wilson (LA with line of sight)
and use a Winegard SquareShooter for the UHF atations as there are
still VHFs in LA 7, 9, 11 and 13. The UHF antenna only has 4.5dB gain,
over a dipole, no preamp AND split to 3 receivers. Signal strength is
more than sufficient with no breakup of the video.The VHF stations use
a Winegard all channel in the attic but with a UHF/VHF splitter
backwards to use only the VHF from the attic and UHF from the roof.
All the stations listed for 90274 work correctly.

Most installations do not require a preamp and it can overload and
make matters worse. The exception would be an extremely long cable run
(150+ ft) with the preamp at the antenna, not downstream after the
cable losses. Good cable with good connectors properly installed will
last a long time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:32:16 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

google for the homemade DTV antenna(UHF) from makezine;
coathanger wires,screws,washers,a small board,and a balun.
simple to make,works well.

Thanks.

There aint no digital antennas.
The received signal might be used for digital purposes,
but that does not make it digital.
So just get an antenna for the required frequency band.
That should solve it.

The thing is that when I bought my first amplified antenna, I got all
the stations in DC that I hadn't been able to get before. I live in
NW Baltimore. No need to borrow a ladder or risk my neck on the roof.

The first and second ones have broken, so I can't help thinking that a
new amplifed antenna in same place in the attic will also bring in all
the DC stations.

Does anyone want to recommend any attic-mountable amplified antenna?
There is plenty of room up there.

Omni-Directionality isn't important because DC is 35 miles from here
and everything is approximately the same direction.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:14:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I"m 35 miles from DC but I'm in a valley. I don't think I have line
of sight to DC, but I still get channel 7.1,2,3 now and got channel 9
for the first time yesterday.

and use a Winegard SquareShooter for the UHF atations as there are
still VHFs in LA 7, 9, 11 and 13. The UHF antenna only has 4.5dB gain,
over a dipole, no preamp AND split to 3 receivers. Signal strength is
more than sufficient with no breakup of the video.The VHF stations use
a Winegard all channel in the attic but with a UHF/VHF splitter
backwards to use only the VHF from the attic and UHF from the roof.
All the stations listed for 90274 work correctly.

Most installations do not require a preamp and it can overload and
make matters worse.

Even with digital, a preamp can cause overload??

I did have that before on some stations, so I had a switch next to the
tuner (the vcr) to disconnect the antenna and leave only a foot of
co-ax. Any station that would overload worked fine with only the
co-ax.