Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Nedd a new attic antenna? Amplified.

My old amplified antenna in the attic has failed, and I don't think I
can fix it.

I would buy a new amplified antenna, but so far, the ones I see are
advertised iiuc like the digital age has not arrived. Maybe I
should wait until they are selling antennas that are really designed
for digital???

Two say, "Has FM trap so strong FM signals won't interfere with
channels 2 to 13. But iiuc, there's either no or no special
likelihood that channels 2 to 13 are anywhere near the FM frequencies
anymore, right?

The outdoor non-amp antennas have lots of elements and look just like
they used to, but aren't those elements tuned to old VHF channels,
whose frequencies aren't in use anymore?

Or am I confused and what they are selling now is as good as it will
get any time soon?

(I don't have HD or large screen tvs and don't plan to get them.

Right now, not counting the array of weather channels, I'm getting 10
stations in Baltimore and DC with just a 7 foot single strand of wire
stuck into the coax connector on back of the DVDR-with-hard-drive, and
that would be enough if there weren't at least 6 others I think I
could get just by having a better antenna.)

Thanks.