Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Tv Wont Power Up

I have a sony KV34 HS 510 tv that wont power on . The protector circuit
kicks out and stanby light flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 7 nov, 17:12, "David B." wrote:stanby light
flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

yeah. it's broken.

seriously now, you will need to get in there and measure a few
voltages , test a few components and at least give us the chassis
reference if you expect any more detailed help than the above!

Flashing LEDs can mean almost anything, from a dry joint to a
transformer failure, and are not a relaible guide. If I were you, I
would take the set to a local repair place and get a quote, based on
proper diagnosis rather than any internet guesswork. The inside of a
TV is no place to be if you have no electroncis experience.

best of luck.
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Moi Moi is offline

Flashing LEDs can mean almost anything, from a dry joint to a
transformer failure, and are not a relaible guide. If I were you, I
would take the set to a local repair place and get a quote, based on
proper diagnosis rather than any internet guesswork. The inside of a
TV is no place to be if you have no electroncis experience.

And at the very least the diagnosis of a pro will tell you what part needs
replacement and you can then ask us here how involved it might be to DIY.
Heck, someone may also know the particular component on that board that has
failed, based on their history with that model.

good luck!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David B." wrote in message
I have a sony KV34 HS 510 tv that wont power on . The protector circuit
kicks out and stanby light flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks Dave

Are you a technician?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David B." wrote in
:

I have a sony KV34 HS 510 tv that wont power on . The protector circuit
kicks out and stanby light flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks Dave

probably bad electrolytic caps.(ESR)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"David B." wrote in
:

I have a sony KV34 HS 510 tv that wont power on . The protector circuit
kicks out and stanby light flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks Dave

probably bad electrolytic caps.(ESR)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Thanks for the replies. The tv has a DA-4 chassis. I'm not a tech but have
done some work on guitar tube amps. Tube circuitry is pretty straight
forward makes tracing, reading voltages etc easy work . The only real
trouble shooting I've done on ic's involved switches and solder joints.
Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"b" wrote in message
On 7 nov, 17:12, "David B." wrote:stanby light
flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

yeah. it's broken.

seriously now, you will need to get in there and measure a few
voltages , test a few components and at least give us the chassis
reference if you expect any more detailed help than the above!

Flashing LEDs can mean almost anything, from a dry joint to a
transformer failure, and are not a relaible guide. If I were you, I
would take the set to a local repair place and get a quote, based on
proper diagnosis rather than any internet guesswork. The inside of a
TV is no place to be if you have no electroncis experience.

best of luck.
-B

With Sony TV sets, the number of times that the LED blinks, is generally a
code to refer you to the faulty area. ISTR that 7 flashes indicates a
horizontal deflection failure, so I guess that the first favourite would
have to be the HOP transistor short circuit, although be aware that there
are issues which can cause transistor failure.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David B." wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"David B." wrote in
:

I have a sony KV34 HS 510 tv that wont power on . The protector
circuit kicks out and stanby light flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix
it?

Thanks Dave

probably bad electrolytic caps.(ESR)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Thanks for the replies. The tv has a DA-4 chassis. I'm not a tech but
have done some work on guitar tube amps. Tube circuitry is pretty
straight forward makes tracing, reading voltages etc easy work . The
only real trouble shooting I've done on ic's involved switches and
solder joints. Dave

modern TVs use high frequency switching power supplies that depend on low-
ESR 105degF electrolytic caps.When the caps ESR climbs,they load supply
lines and eventually,the PS control IC current limits,or goes into "burst"
mode,where it tries to start,current limits,then retries to start
repeatedly.
Sometimes,you get lucky and the bad cap(s) are discolored or swollen,easily
spotted.Other times,you need an ESR meter like the Dick Smith meter.

Now,the bad caps can be on the secondary side,or they can be on the primary
side(or both!),particularly the "housekeeping" supply for the PS controller
IC.

Replacement caps -must- be low-ESR 105DegF,or they don't last very long.

To learn about your TV's power supply,find the power supply control IC(it
will be near the big line-input electrolytic caps,or near a heatsinked
transistor),then Google the datasheet for it.It can tell you a lot.

Sam Goldwasser also has a nice site for troubleshooting.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David B." wrote in message

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"David B." wrote in
:

I have a sony KV34 HS 510 tv that wont power on . The protector circuit
kicks out and stanby light flashes 7 times.
Does anyone knowwhat would cause the above issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks Dave

probably bad electrolytic caps.(ESR)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Thanks for the replies. The tv has a DA-4 chassis. I'm not a tech but have
done some work on guitar tube amps. Tube circuitry is pretty straight
forward makes tracing, reading voltages etc easy work . The only real
trouble shooting I've done on ic's involved switches and solder joints.
Dave

Check the small fusible resistors (0.1 ohm Micron fusible) along the edge of
the power supply / deflection board, about 1/3 of the way from the edge of
the board nearest the front of the set. They are near 1 or 2 larger black
capacitors. Probably the resistors are OK, indicating the FET switchers are
OK.

At this point your most likely culprit is IC 8002, an MCZ3001D or DB.
Replace only with the DB version. This is a common problem.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 01:41:13 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"b" wrote in message
[...]

Like the driver/driver coupling.

Yes, quite so. Anything in the base coupling circuit which slows the
transition of the drive waveform will do it. Also bad joints on the driver
transformer when one is used, bad joints on the driver transistor, faulty
flyback tuning caps, faulty HOPTx, and incorrect HT volts to name a few more
common ones.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"b" wrote in message
[...]

Worked on quite a few of these the past couple years. IC8002 is a frequent
offender. These models are quite different from the standard issue type
we've seen for so many years. I'm actually a relative newbie on TV's, having
been "promoted" to working on them in-shop with the other guys always out on
service calls, but just to give you an idea how different these sets are
from the norm, I can tell you the high voltage is a complete separate
circuit from the 200 volt line. This is because of the different scan rates
supported.

IC8002 provides the PWM drive for the high voltage. IC6501 relates to the
200 volt line. The typical failure mode is that sometimes the set will fire
up just fine, then maybe not for days on end, then mysteriously start
working again, sometimes for up to a couple months.

If the white 0.1 ohm Micron resistors are OK, then IC8002 is by far the most
likely suspect. If the 0.1 resistor associated with that set of FET
switchers is open, then of course those transistors are bad. This seems to
be the case only very rarely, mainly if the flyback(LOPT) goes tango
uniform.

The IC's involved, again are generically known as MCZ3001D and should be
replaced with the newer DB suffix model.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message

wrote:

"b" wrote in message
[...]

Aha ! I bow to your definitely superior knowledge on this chassis then Mark.
It's not one that I've had cause to work on I think - in fact nowadays, I
try to steer clear of TV sets altogether. I was just thinking back to all
the Sony models with the LED flash codes, and remembering (I think) that 7
flashes was a H def failure, when the HOP and HV were all part and parcel of
the same stage.

Arfa