Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Some keyboard keys not working.

qerty and 7 don't work, also some others.
I think it might be the cable for the keyboard,
they worked intermittantly for a while but I cant get em
to work now.
I guess I buy a new keyboard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:53:16 +0000, Colin Trunt wrote:

qerty and 7 don't work, also some others. I think it might be the cable
for the keyboard, they worked intermittantly for a while but I cant get
em to work now.
I guess I buy a new keyboard

Yes it is time to replace the keyboard.

It is made up of two flexible printed circuits separated by a sheet of
plastic with holes at the appropriate junctions to allow the printed
circuits to contact when a key is pressed.

What most likely has happened is tha one of the traces has deteriorated
and left the contacts for those keys open. The silver print is often
damaged by mosture and flexing.

Repairing the circuit is seldom successful and the keyboard is a real
nightmare to disassemble and reassemble correctly.

Since generic keyboards are quite reasonable now it is hardly worth the
effort unless you are just curious about how it's made.

When you buy a replacement I do recommend going to a store like Office Max
where they display them and you can try the layout and feel before buying
to improve your satisfaction with it.

Gnack
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gnack Nol" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yes well I removed 18!! screws and still could not get it apart,
like trying to get into fort Knox.
Suppose if I am throwing it away I may as well force it open
if I can be bothered to unscrew it again.

I do have an old keyboard (obviously) which is OK but it's
very cheap and the keys a little stiff for my liking, also
it's nice to have a backup, as I found, so I will keep it
as a back up. I also have a old flexible keyboard but thats gone
out of shape.
I might go for a wireless but only if the batterys last a real long time.