Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic VHS player NV-HV61E plays only EP tapes

Hello all!
What can be the problem with a VHS player, Panasonic model NV-HV61E
which only gives a decent picture in EP mode? If trying to play a tape
wither standard shortplay or longplay, the picture all flickers and
rolls.
I clean the drum without no improvment. I also clean the capstan
roller and audio/control head. Any advice is warmly appreciated.

Best regards
Jackson
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

powerampfreak wrote:

Hello all!
What can be the problem with a VHS player, Panasonic model NV-HV61E
which only gives a decent picture in EP mode? If trying to play a tape
wither standard shortplay or longplay, the picture all flickers and
rolls.
I clean the drum without no improvment. I also clean the capstan
roller and audio/control head. Any advice is warmly appreciated.

It probably needs new heads (upper cylinder).

Most Panasonics used a "4 head" design or dual-azmuith which in simple
terms means there was a pair for the SP/LP mode and a different pair for
the EP mode.

It's quite possible the one set is broken/worn out but the other is fine.

After that thought, you didn't clean them as well as you think you did then
after that you aren't going to get far without poking a scope around.

I'm not familar with that model but some machines (and I don't think it
relates to Panasonics) used a relay to switch between the heads. It's
possible the relay is dirty but I don't think it uses one.

It's VHS, no chance of finding a working one at a garage/yard sale or some
suplus place near you?

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 28 oct, 11:49, powerampfreak wrote:
Hello all!
What can be the problem with a VHS player, Panasonic model NV-HV61E
which only gives a decent picture in EP mode? If trying to play a tape
wither standard shortplay or longplay, the picture all flickers and
rolls.
I clean the drum without no improvment. I also clean the capstan
roller and audio/control head. Any advice is warmly appreciated.

Best regards
Jackson

Have you checked for any tape edge damage?

what happens if you make a recording in SP and play it
a) on the same machine
b) on a known good machine?

-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 29 Okt, 12:54, b wrote:
On 28 oct, 11:49, powerampfreak wrote:

Hello all!
What can be the problem with a VHS player, Panasonic model NV-HV61E
which only gives a decent picture in EP mode? If trying to play a tape
wither standard shortplay or longplay, the picture all flickers and
rolls.
I clean the drum without no improvment. I also clean the capstan
roller and audio/control head. Any advice is warmly appreciated.

Best regards
Jackson

Have you checked for any tape edge damage?

what happens if you make a recording in SP and play it
a) on the same machine
b) on a known good machine?

-B

Ohh forgot to mention .. I'm in an electronics repair shop for mostly
hifi and pa equipment ..
Back in the old days I was much into TV and VCR repair, unfortunately
I've forgot many of the tricks...
I appreciate your advice a lot. An old friend came with the VCR and
I'll try to help him..
So - if it works OK to record SP and play it on the same machine, then
upper cylinder must be good, right?
If a SP recording doesn't play ok on the same machine but on another
machine .. what could then be the problem?
There are the same heads used for both rec and play, right?

If memory serves me right - I didn't see any edge tape wear or
anything. The picture seems "pretty" good during fast search, but in
playmode short white lines all over the picture.

Regards
Jackson
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 30 oct, 18:09, powerampfreak wrote:

So - if it works OK to record SP and play it on the same machine, then
upper cylinder must be good, right?
If a SP recording doesn't play ok on the same machine but on another
machine .. what could then be the problem?
There are the same heads used for both rec and play, right?

If it records and then plays back (SP) well on any machine, same or
different, then the heads are likely OK and there is some other
problem. However, I'm betting that two of the heads are badly clogged
or damaged. Seen this often. Two heads are used for SP rec and PB, and
another two for LP rec and PB, the reason for more heads for each
speed is the difference in microns of the head gap being crucial for
better reproduction at different speeds.

In fast wind, slo-mo etc, the other pair are probably used, which is
why you get more picture.
read up on this he http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vc...ml#VCRFAQB_015

HTH
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 30 Okt, 19:57, b wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies.
If I need to change the upper cylinder of this machine. Is it a simple
enough task to do?
Does it require any special tools, etc? Or access to the service
manual for alignment in any way?
I've replaced the upper cylinder in earlier days on some older
Panasonics.
I remember then the job was quite simple, but it was like 5-6 years
ago. Don't know one newer machines.

regards
Jackson