Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default PM 3055 scopes do not power up

Someone asked me about these oscilloscopes. Apparently he has a dozen
of them that do not power up. No display or backlight on the LCD. Yes,
AC power is set correctly. I haven't seen them so don't really have any
more info.

Anything common with these?

Thanks!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(Samuel M. Goldwasser) writes:

Someone asked me about these oscilloscopes. Apparently he has a dozen
of them that do not power up. No display or backlight on the LCD. Yes,
AC power is set correctly. I haven't seen them so don't really have any
more info.

Anything common with these?

Should have mentioned that these are Philips analog scopes in case
the model is ambiguous.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Someone asked me about these oscilloscopes. Apparently he has a dozen
of them that do not power up. No display or backlight on the LCD. Yes,
AC power is set correctly. I haven't seen them so don't really have any
more info.

Anything common with these?

Thanks!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Electrolytics, almost always on these, throughout the PSU, input
attenuator board, XYZ board. Usually all will need replacing, can total
30-40 caps. Tedious job for a 50/60MHz scope. Couple of unavailable
IC's in the preamplifier fail regularly causing offset traces.
Backlights usually fail on the LCD but you won't know until you get the
scope up and running, its just a mini filament lamp, available from
www.jetecnet.com

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

On 18 Oct 2009 13:15:00 -0400,
(Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

Someone asked me about these oscilloscopes. Apparently he has a dozen
of them that do not power up. No display or backlight on the LCD. Yes,
AC power is set correctly. I haven't seen them so don't really have any
more info.

Anything common with these?

Thanks!

It appears the schematic can be found here. NOTE: Three parts.
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...ps_PM3055.html

Yes, thanks, I had already found that. Unfortunately, I don't have them
in my possession and I doubt that the person who does would be able to
do any serious troubleshooting.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Archon writes:

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Someone asked me about these oscilloscopes. Apparently he has a dozen
of them that do not power up. No display or backlight on the LCD. Yes,
AC power is set correctly. I haven't seen them so don't really have any
more info.
Anything common with these?
Thanks!
--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Electrolytics, almost always on these, throughout the PSU, input
attenuator board, XYZ board. Usually all will need replacing, can
total 30-40 caps. Tedious job for a 50/60MHz scope. Couple of
unavailable IC's in the preamplifier fail regularly causing offset
traces. Backlights usually fail on the LCD but you won't know until
you get the scope up and running, its just a mini filament lamp,
available from www.jetecnet.com

Thanks! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.
The owner won't be happy.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/