Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV picture vertical height adjustment

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Hi,

my TV is really not very good, but I don't watch it much apart from the
BBC 24Hr News.

I can't find any way to adjust the vertical height back to where it
should be, which is a bit of a pain because it means the captions and
current time are obscured. I've had the back off but still can't find
any adjustments.

It is a Beko 28416ND.

How is the vertical height typically adjusted on such a set?

Cheers,

Gareth.

I take it that is a CRT model ? Most adjustments disappeared years ago,
and are now done in software, and stored in an EEPROM. There is usually
an engineering mode, accessed by a 'secret' series of button pushes, to
get at the non-user adjustments. I'll ask my mate in a few minutes when
his shop opens, if he knows that model, and how to get at the
adjustments. I assume that the picture is otherwise vertically linear,
and you're not actually chasing a 'problem' with the vertical output
stage ?

Arfa

Yep, its a CRT widescreen. Picture is otherwise fine and undistorted.
It could be that the edges are also missing, i.e. the whole picture is
"zoomed in". No easy way of telling.

Thanks Arfa!

Gareth.

OK. I've just asked him, and he said that many of the Beko models
'officially' require a proper service remote - which is like 80 quid's
worth .... However, he also said that there is usually a workaround, and
the last one he had in a year or so ago, was able to be done using a
remote that outputted Philips RC6 code (I thought after that this might be
a slip of the tongue, and he meant RC5 code). He said that part of the
button sequence was, as he recalled, "contrast +" -- "contrast -", so he
spent a couple of hours hunting through all his junk until he found a
universal handset old enough to have these discrete buttons on it (most
sets for a long time have just had "+" and "-" buttons to adjust
brightness, contrast etc via menu selections).

Anyway, he said that it did work, and he was able to access the service
menu, and make the adjustments needed. He found the actual button sequence
in a 'net forum.

Not too definitive, I'm afraid, but hope it's of at least some help.

Arfa

Thanks for that, Arfa! In the old days you used to just turn a knob.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

Yep, its a CRT widescreen.

Since I watch a lot of 4:3 broadcasts in Zoom mode, which fills my 16:9
widescreen without distortion by clipping the top and bottom, I have to
ask: is your aspect ratio setting correct? Watching (American) football,
I have to cycle back to Normal mode to check the bottom-of-the-picture
score banner.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

Yep, its a CRT widescreen.

Since I watch a lot of 4:3 broadcasts in Zoom mode, which fills my 16:9
widescreen without distortion by clipping the top and bottom, I have to
ask: is your aspect ratio setting correct? Watching (American) football,
I have to cycle back to Normal mode to check the bottom-of-the-picture
score banner.

Yes it is. 16:9 setting shows the most of the picture, which is a
widescreen transmission (In the UK most transmissions are Widescreen).
Zoom and Letterbox settings chop off even more stuff. I'd prefer to see.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

When I was a spotty faced (proper 5 year !) 'prentice nearly 40 years ago,
those knobs even stuck out the TV's rear cover ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hmm, you have to wonder at the intent behind a poster that inserts blatantly
Homophobic remarks amongst an otherwise sensible post.

What else would you expect from a Raider fan?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers

Edward Morris wrote:
Who knows what Dori's agenda is but being gay, I have our agenda, and
it's longer than the healthcare reform bill. I wonder if Dori would use
derogatory words about heterosexuals, religion and heaven forbid, race?

Eddie

Of course she would. After all, her and her types endorse abuse of small
children.

Go Texans!