Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DJM500 Repair

I'm in the process of fixing a couple of faults with a DJM500. The
actual faults are straightforwrd, dodgy switches, dirty pots etc. What
has got me stumped though, is the connector used to attach the ribbon
cables internally.

They look like the sort that clamps on the bare tinned wires but if I
lift what appears to be the retaining clip there is no change in the
pressure on the cable and I can't get it to release. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Thanks
John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message
I'm in the process of fixing a couple of faults with a DJM500. The
actual faults are straightforwrd, dodgy switches, dirty pots etc. What
has got me stumped though, is the connector used to attach the ribbon
cables internally.

They look like the sort that clamps on the bare tinned wires but if I
lift what appears to be the retaining clip there is no change in the
pressure on the cable and I can't get it to release. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Thanks
John

Try pushing down , with a small piece of metal along the top , to give even
pressure, which can be more pressure than the lift up type of clamp.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

I'm in the process of fixing a couple of faults with a DJM500. The
actual faults are straightforwrd, dodgy switches, dirty pots etc. What
has got me stumped though, is the connector used to attach the ribbon
cables internally.

They look like the sort that clamps on the bare tinned wires but if I
lift what appears to be the retaining clip there is no change in the
pressure on the cable and I can't get it to release. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Thanks
John

Try pushing down , with a small piece of metal along the top , to give even
pressure, which can be more pressure than the lift up type of clamp.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

I'm still not getting anywhere so I've posted some pictures of the
connector in question. Hopefully that'll help

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bristo.../DJMConnectors

I can't believe I'm stumped by something so straightforward. Thanks
for the help so far.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 2:23*pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:

m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

for the help so far.- Hide quoted text -

After looking at the picture, I think the lower part of the connector
moves down in the direction of (white) arrow to release cable.

Regards,
Ravi
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13 Aug, 12:07, Ravi wrote:
On Aug 13, 2:23*pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:

On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:

m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

Okay. I'm not quite as daft as I thought. Just spoken to a service
friend of mine and apparently although they may look like some sort of
socket arrangement they are in fact just strain relief for a soldered
connector.

This is going to be a little more fiddly than I thought.

However if anyone knows of a minature tactile switch with just two
contacts that would be useful

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 10:35*pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:
On 13 Aug, 12:07, Ravi wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:23*pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:

On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:

m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

contacts that would be useful- Hide quoted text -

Not sure whether you tried to pull the cable gently.

I had a VCR once, in which they had used similar tinned end cable that
one would to pull gently to release from the socket. Then to re-insert
in to socket, it needed to be pushed down with a bit of force.

With Regards,

Ravi.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13 Aug, 12:07, Ravi wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:23*pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:

On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:

m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

I'm pretty sure they're fixed. I was beginning to pull far harder than
I would like or should need to. It's just Pioneer making life
difficult for all involved. This is a company that has now refused to
supply any spare parts to a number of service centres. Therre are
other connectors that are slightly different, they can be disconnected.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 13 Aug, 12:07, Ravi wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:23 pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message
[...]

I reckon that`s the type of socket with a backwards facing blade
designed to enable the wire to be inserted but not withdrawn. Usually
pushing a thin needle down alongside the wire will release it from the
socket, it`s a bit fiddly with several conductors in the ribbon, but it
can be done.

If the op is in the UK, 2 pole min tactile switches are available from
Farnells

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13 Aug, 12:07, Ravi wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:23 pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message
[...]

I HATE those snatch connectors, Ron. When they're in an awkward place, it's
almost imposiible to tell whether you're dealing with the type where a latch
bar de-clicks and lifts at either end, or the type with a de-latch bar that
presses down against the spring tension of the contacts, and releases them
all at once. The manufacturers of kit that uses them, even mix both types on
the same board ...

And as I'm sure you experience as well, no matter how carefully you keep the
cable out of the way, one of the wire ends will always get bent, and no
matter how well you straighten and realign it, it will bend out line and
refuse to go down its hole, every time you try to reinsert it .... :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

On 13 Aug, 12:07, Ravi wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:23 pm, m_o_o_k_i_e wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

A wire often breaks with all this going on as well as misaligning. In those
annoying circumstances I get a piece of header strip or wire/wrap (depending
on wire size) and solder the damn wires to the pins and then insert the
rigid pins in the socket. Sometimes bending the pins where a right angle
entry.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"m_o_o_k_i_e" wrote in message
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

Mr Cook is correct. Push down firmly on the top flat part of the connector
housing with a screwdriver whilst gently pulling the cable out. These are
actually quite a tight fit and don't feel like they want to come out at all,
but they do.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"m_o_o_k_i_e" wrote in message
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

I have a bit of square rod , fixed to a handle for this purpose, certainly
more than finger pressure required and pressure nneds to be made along the
length of the flange or not all wires will freeup together, the plastic
bends otherwise. Need a soft pad on the trackside as well usually

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"m_o_o_k_i_e" wrote in message
On 13 Aug, 08:15, "N_Cook" wrote:
m_o_o_k_i_e wrote in message

[...]

Yep, it certainly takes more than fingers to release the latch, hence, no
doubt, the OP's confusion.

Gareth.