Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke #10 DMM Multimeter repair

Hi,

Purchased an NOS Fluke #10 DMM. It was apparently shipped with a
factory defect, no doubt that it was never used. When you flip the
switch to its first position (volts), the display either does nothing
or throws up random garbage.

If you quickly slide the on-off switch all the way over to the right
position, the ohms/diode section, the meter works fine in that mode.
Sliding it back to Volts again causes some random garbade to display,
then display quickly fades out.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem? I tried spraying
the on-off switch to no avail, and a new battery was installed
(although the original was still good). Meter looks like it may date
from approx 1997.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JoeyPee" wrote in message
Hi,

Purchased an NOS Fluke #10 DMM. It was apparently shipped with a
factory defect, no doubt that it was never used. When you flip the
switch to its first position (volts), the display either does nothing
or throws up random garbage.

If you quickly slide the on-off switch all the way over to the right
position, the ohms/diode section, the meter works fine in that mode.
Sliding it back to Volts again causes some random garbade to display,
then display quickly fades out.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem? I tried spraying
the on-off switch to no avail, and a new battery was installed
(although the original was still good). Meter looks like it may date
from approx 1997.

If there is no warranty or possibility of returning the unit to the seller,
then your best first step is to replace the electrolytic capacitors in the
unit. I have the User's Manual and the Service Manual for the model 10 if
you need it. The service manual contains schematic and parts list. I can
email them to you. Both are PDF files, totaling about 9 Mb. There is no
theory of operation or troubleshooting info in the manuals, so you're left
to your own expertise.
If the trouble points to the LSI chip, parts availability might be a
problem.
--
Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the
self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the
purpose.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying. I sent you a quick email, if you could forward
those PDF, that would be great. Please forward them 1-at-a-time,
because my email has a 10mb limit, so both at once may cause it to
bounce.

thanks again.