Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Jumpy display on Sony P1110

Recently, my venerable P1110 has gotten "jumpy". The screen will begin
to get pincushion and "twitches" between a good display and the
distorted one. The distortion gets more severe and more frequent until
the deflection totally collapses and the monitor suddenly shuts off,
restarts, and goes back to the same thing. Or not. Sometimes the
twitching is incessant, sometimes it's not a problem for a few hours.

Because convergence and focus are fine during the "seizures", I suspect
a power supply problem in the deflection drivers.

Any suggestions or info on known problems? (This is the same model that
has a tendency to drift to higher and higher brightness -- I've already
dealt with that one).

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:17:08 -0700, isw wrote:

Recently, my venerable P1110 has gotten "jumpy". The screen will begin
to get pincushion and "twitches" between a good display and the
distorted one. The distortion gets more severe and more frequent until
the deflection totally collapses and the monitor suddenly shuts off,
restarts, and goes back to the same thing. Or not. Sometimes the
twitching is incessant, sometimes it's not a problem for a few hours.

Because convergence and focus are fine during the "seizures", I suspect
a power supply problem in the deflection drivers.

Any suggestions or info on known problems? (This is the same model that
has a tendency to drift to higher and higher brightness -- I've already
dealt with that one).

Isaac

Take the back off and tap around the PSU/deflection with a non
conductive instrument and see if you can get the tapping to corrospond
with the image. If it's a loose solder connection good luck finding
it.

Good idea. Sony has a long history of not knowing how to make reliable
solder joints.

Isaac