chuck

Default Sony KV-27EXR25 jumpy pincushion display

My 13 year old sony KV-27EXR25 caught the pin cushioned picture
disease.

It seems to jump back and forth between working and pin cushioned. A
light tap on the front of the chassis seems to fix it temporarily.

Cold solder joints and temperamental semiconductors come to mind.

I'm going to pop the back cover and see if I can tap or wiggle some
component into displaying or fixing the problem.

I've noticed there's reported problems with the STR-S6301 regulator in
this model and that caps can go bad. Sounds like I've been lucky so
far.

Any known issues that could cause this jumpy pin cushioning ?

PS any recommendations on a good replacement 27" set ?

Jerry G.

Check for any cold solder connections in the pin area. Also take care to pay
particular attention to check any inductors in that area for cold solder's
as well. It would be good to resolder all the connections for the main
voltage regulators, and also for the horizontal driver transformer that is
between the scan generator and horizontal output stage.

As for the power supply, before it fails, change the main driver IC, and all
the electrolytic caps, especially on the drive side of the supply. This will
save some very big expensive service headaches later on. For the drive IC,
use a Sony original part only. I found that the generic replacements don't
usually last very long in these sets.

--

Jerry G.