Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 5220A Problems

We have a Fluke 5220A Transconductance Amplifier with a problem
that's been getting progressively worse over the years. It's supposed
to put out at least 20 amps, ac or dc, with light inductive loads.
The overcompliance circuit is tripping the unit out at around 19A DC,
and much less for AC, around 13A. These are both with loads connected
with minimal voltage drop across them. The loads, a shunt and coil of
wire, have been used for years with no problems.All supplies are clean
and stable. After troubleshooting for hours and getting nowhere, we
disabled the overcompliance circuit to see if it could indeed put out
full current. R114 and R115 on A7 burnt up (page 129,
http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/5220a___imeng0300.pdf ). We replaced
all the transistors on A7 although none were blown, re-enabled the
protection, and we're back where we were.. I'm curious why those
resistors burned. I'm not familiar with this type of amplifier
configuration. We checked, and the amplifier output is stable and not
oscillating. At this point, we'll take any input. Next up I'm
planning on replacing all the active parts on the driver board, I'm
tired of troubleshooting and wasting time, it's shotgun time.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:12:25 -0700 (PDT) Avionics Tech
wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

I'm not at all familiar with that piece, but I've found that when a
problem gets progressively worse as you say, that usually it's one or more
electrolytic caps going high ESR. I'd start by replacing them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

Unfortunately, Fluke puts a lot of thought into their products. The
only electrolytics on this unit are the large ones in the power supply
busses. There's 8 of them, 50,000uF. The rest are ceramic, tantalum,
mylar, or polyester.

Also, I forgot to mention, the unit works fine functionally besides
the overcompliance problem i.e. for 5V input, it puts out 5A. It's
actually in tolerance. Also, the overrvoltage circuit adjustment
works properly, we are able to set it at 3.3V.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Also, we ran through both troubleshooting procedures in the manual,
they both passed just fine. What I'd really like to know is what
would cause those two resistors to burn up in that type of amplifier
configuration.

Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:12:25 AM UTC+10, Avionics Tech wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve,

this is a massive long shot - I found this old post on google groups regarding a problem you had with a Fluke 5220A Transconductance Amp.
I've got a similar problem with one here - it can drive resistive loads at 20 A DC and AC without an issue, but is very hit and miss with the 50-turn coil (used to calibrate current clamp meters up to 1000 A). Sometimes it will drive 1 A or 2 A through the coil, other times it will just go straight into an overcompliance fault.

Sometimes I can slowly ramp up the input voltage and get up to 5 A or 6 A through the coil but it depends on the day. Ramping up in ~100 mV steps is usually okay but very, very tedious, and sometimes even this causes it to cut out.

I did some reading and it seems that there is meant to be a feature in the 5220A where the current will slowly ramp up if the input voltage is applied first, then the 5220A set to 'Operate' mode, rather than having the 5220A in ' Operate' mode and changing the input voltage. I suspect this is what is causing the problem in both your case and in my case, but don't even know where to start in terms of fault-finding.

If you did ever end up identifying a faulty component or an alternative solution for this problem I would be eternally grateful for some assistance!

Thanks,
- Alex

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

We have a Fluke *5220A Transconductance Amplifier with a problem
that's been getting progressively worse over the years. *It's supposed
to put out at least 20 amps, ac or dc, with light inductive loads.
The overcompliance circuit is tripping the unit out at around 19A DC,
and much less for AC, around 13A. ...

I'm not at all familiar with that piece, but I've found that when a
problem gets progressively worse as you say, that usually it's one or more
electrolytic caps going high ESR. I'd start by replacing them.

Unfortunately, Fluke puts a lot of thought into their products. The
only electrolytics on this unit are the large ones in the power supply
busses. There's 8 of them, 50,000uF.

Actually, there ARE electrolytics, on the regulator board, other than those
big 'uns. I'm not sure why R114 and R115 would fail, but they supply
base current to the final transistors (Q103...Q106). So, could you
monitor test points TP3, TP4 and TP5, TP6, to see if the emitter currents
are in balance? If a final goes bad (low beta) the good one paired
with it would overheat, and then the opposite pair would have
to drive the leakage current of the hottie as well as the load.