Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A CRT museum?

Old buck, here. and been fascinated by CRTs ever since Life magazine in
the earlier 1940s had a custom gas-focused CRT made to teach the general
public about CRTs. No, I'm not kidding. Would love to know date of the
issue.

Gas-focused CRTs have a visible beam, and vary beam current to optimize
focus. They're obsolete, because their frequency response (CRT, not the
amplifiers) goes only into the low AM range, if that.

Anyhow, I see splendid examples such as my own curb-find spherical 21-
inch aperture-grille Diamondtron, a few flat-screen types, and a highly-
developed very-wide-deflection-angle TV CRT (Sony?) -- all put out as
trash to recycle. (Btw, just what *is* the deflection angle of that
really-short CRT? I have photos of it. Somebody took the yoke for the
copper.)

Doesn't somebody, somewhere, want to save one apiece of representative
samples of the big bottles? In a few decades, they will be amazing items,
really scarce, if any examples exist at all. (For instance, are there any
Zenith Flat Tension Mask tubes still in existence? (I'd guess, a few,
probably all unloved))

Fwiw, I used to own a burned-out Western Electric 224-B gas-focused CRT.
It had been hanging from the ceiling of the store of Blan, The Radio Man,
which was demolished to build the NYC WTC. Covered with lots of dark
dust, he sold it to me for something quite modest such as $10. It had
been a personal treasure I took good care of, and sadly let go in a time
of horrid personal crisis. (I'm essentially OK, now, if too reclusive.)

It must have been the CRT in the General Radio 'scope, the one with the
CRT in a separate enclosure with a cable to the main cabinet. As well,
it was very likely the first practical, low-voltage (hot cathode) CRT.

For more info, See Rider's Encyclopedia on 'scopes.

--
Nicabod =+= Waltham, Mass.
willing to bet that no amateur constructor

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Nicholas Bodley wrote:

[...]

It's more than CRTs, but this place is well worth a visit:

http://www.pavekmuseum.org/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A CRT museum? (Delayed reply; sorry!)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:59:22 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

It's more than CRTs, but this place is well worth a visit:

http://www.pavekmuseum.org/

Agreed! Many thanks. It's waiting as a tab in Firefox.

In my neighborhood is a Dell flat-faceplate monitor out on the curb; been
sorely tempted to save it for a museum, but I don't have the space.

In the future, Zenith FTM (?) (Flat Tension Mask, iirc) monitors will be
rare, if any exist at all.

--
Nicabod =+= Waltham, Mass.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In the future, Zenith FTM (?) (Flat Tension Mask, IIRC) monitors
will be rare, if any exist at all.

I saw one of these 20 years ago. Beautiful.

PICTURES from IL railroad museum Ignoramus15946 Metalworking 5 October 23rd 07 02:56 AM
Proposal for a museum Eigenvector Home Repair 3 April 8th 07 03:35 AM
ISO car museum jackstands Rex B Metalworking 23 July 19th 05 12:59 AM
Royal Ontario Museum Will Woodturning 0 March 5th 05 04:24 PM
Machinery museum recommendations ?? Johnsorj Metalworking 14 April 14th 04 04:32 PM