Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Nec DX-5000U dark, wavy picture from tuner. Fixed.

This is one of my all time favorite VCR's. Over the past few years, the
picture from the tuner had begun to deteriorate. I had removed all the brown
glue on the digital board and changed quite a few capacitors in the power
supply and tuner board. That helped but the picture still was not very good.
Today I did some more hunting and found two more defective capacitors that
you probably wouldn't notice right away. One was a 10uF 16V cap inside the
tuner (no reference number but there are only two caps in there). The other
was a 47uF 16V, reference number C2, located on the back panel jack board
where the RF in and out connectors are. C2 was actually leaking and starting
to discolor the board. After replacement, the picture was much better.

Now I'll be able to squeeze a few more years out of this fine machine.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center