Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default sony 29" trinitron dark, no picture

Hi guys I need help.
I have a 29" sony trinitron model KV29 about 10 years old.
The problem is lately when I turn on the tv the green color is
missing, without the green color the picture is very dark. Usually
after about 15-20 minutes the picture comes back on perfectly.
However sometimes the screen goes blank after long viewing hours.
Lately the screen has become very dark and the picture won't come back
on. One time I removed the CRT socket and replaced it and the picture
came back on. Yesterday the screen was really dark and I removed the
CRT socket connected to the neck and replaced it many times but the
picture never came back on even after cleaning the pins and board.
This morning after giving up I tried to turn the tv back on and guess
what, the picture was perfect after a few hours of off time. I
checked the CRT neck and the orange glow is still there even when the
picture is dark. I have sound and can change channels no problem.
What is the problem? Is it a worn out CRT or a bad flyback
transformer that doesn't charge the anode cap anymore?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Reply with actual diagnostics you have done, such as voltage measurements,
waveforms, etc then the n/g may be more able to give appropiate responses.
Otherwise you may get something like check the signal processing from the
tuner to the crt including the crt supplies. BTW suspect the G2 supplies
and anything from the video processor to the crt socket, including the video
output devices.
oups.com...