Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default lookng for 4 pole footswitch

Hi,

I'm trying to find a 4 pole changeover footswitch for a Maxon guitar
effrects pedal. Not the kind of thing you see every day.

The original is made by Fujisoku, but they do not appear in their catalogue.
I suspect these are custom made for Maxon.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to find a 4 pole changeover footswitch for a Maxon guitar
effrects pedal. Not the kind of thing you see every day.

The original is made by Fujisoku, but they do not appear in their

catalogue.
I suspect these are custom made for Maxon.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Gareth.

If mains powered then adapt with a relay attached to an ordinary one, I've
never seen a 4 pole one. If you do find an exact replacement it will
probably be weaker than the original anyway.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to find a 4 pole changeover footswitch for a Maxon guitar
effrects pedal. Not the kind of thing you see every day.

The original is made by Fujisoku, but they do not appear in their catalogue.
I suspect these are custom made for Maxon.

Just curious, but do you guys who do this sort of work and are sensitive
to value of service time issues ever just disassemble and refurbish
such things as switches? I found it more cost effective to disassemble
and rebuild special, but well constructed, DPDT push button switches
used in a (U.S.) bingo board than to order new ones.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"msg" wrote in message
ernet...
Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to find a 4 pole changeover footswitch for a Maxon guitar
effrects pedal. Not the kind of thing you see every day.

The original is made by Fujisoku, but they do not appear in their
catalogue. I suspect these are custom made for Maxon.

Just curious, but do you guys who do this sort of work and are sensitive
to value of service time issues ever just disassemble and refurbish
such things as switches? I found it more cost effective to disassemble
and rebuild special, but well constructed, DPDT push button switches
used in a (U.S.) bingo board than to order new ones.

Michael

IMHO this would only be valid with particularly well constructed or
expensive parts. And that doesn't happen much these days.
I believe that for most modern equipment the customer would rather pay for a
new switch rather than pay the same or more to refurbish the old one, which
won't last as long.
I learned a long time ago that I didn't like customers bringing me back
equipment they'd paid me to repair a few months later saying, "that
pot/switch/socket you cleaned for me has got dirty again".

In this case the footswitched is smashed to pieces.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:
"msg" wrote in message
ernet...
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

Hi Gareth

Could you perhaps post a photo of the remains of the switch somewhere, I
might have something lurking in the recesses of my workshop which will do.

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"msg" wrote in message
ernet...
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

I'll do that tomorrow Ron, most kind.

FYI, Maxon is run by the Japanese guy who designed the Ibanez Tube Screamer.
To a guitarist this is like saying he designed Bugatti racing cars. Suffice
to say this pedal is worth over 300 quid on FleaBay, and all the cool famous
guitarists have them.

I have in the last 5 minutes got an email from the USA distributors Godlyke,
who have referred me to a French distributor, so there may be hope of the
proper replacement. This pedal was brought to me before, and back then
Godlyke said they had a switch kicking about but it would cost $40 +
shipping + tax. The customer politely refused, but now realises he has no
option.

Worst case scenario is fitting a relay, as Mr Cook suggested, since the
pedal is external powered only. Not sure how this would affect its value,
which is an important consideration.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"msg" wrote in message
ernet...
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

I've never come across a latching footswitch that is sensibly repairable.
Either a tiny bent or worn pivot in the centre or tiny bit of swaged brass
broken that holds the two main parts together.
BTW anyone know the technical name for the stepped 1/8 turn : 1/4 turn
rotational ratchet mechanism is called that is used in some of these
latching switches? it is the same mechanism as in retractable ball point
pens.

Of course fudge replacement could be 2 off DPDT miniature relays instead of
the usually more bulky / heavier duty 4PDT ones

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"msg" wrote in message
ernet...
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

Photo posted in:

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Note the (remaining 3) contacts operate sideways. Total solder tags = 12.

Also note the standard Marshall footswitch on the right for scale.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No, I didn't think so somehow.

Pretty much a bespoke switch I reckon. Not so sure it is a good design idea
though, but hey, if you are Mr Bugatti ......

Gareth.