Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default GE Microwave Relay Needed

My mother bought what has to be the world's cheapest GE
Microwave...totally against every recommendation I offered. Amazingly,
it did manage to last just beyond the warranty period.

This is the second time it has broken. On the first time around, the
relay that controls the fan, light and turntable motor unsoldered
itself from the control board. I soldered it back on, and the
microwave worked again.

It died again few weeks ago, and I just got to looking at it. The same
relay is to blame. It has badly burned contacts, and no more heavily
than it is loaded, I suspect it was a dud from the start.

The relay is am Omron G5G-1A (rated 16A/120 volts) with a 12 volt
coil. I don't have anything in my junk box that would work as a
replacement, and I can't find it being offered for sale anywhere.

A call to Omron was unhelpful to put it kindly. I was told that the
part was custom made until I pointed the operator to the data sheet on
their own web site. Then I was told that they couldn't just provide
one, a minimum order was fifty and there would be a 12-14 week wait.

GE parts will sell the control board for $61...as much as the oven
cost new. They didn't think I could order just a relay, although the
person I spoke with did claim to look into it.

Anyone here have such a thing in their junkbox or know where to get
one?

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh wrote:
[...]

My guess is that unless you can dress the contacts, you're stuck finding
something similar and adapting it to fit. With 12 volts on the coil,
that points to a vast inventory of automotive products to choose from.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ta-da!

http://brooks.hobid.com/inventory/5275.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 2, 2:27*pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
[...]

Where I live there are a lot of junked microwaves available, as well
as working ones at Good Will and Salvation Army. Any of those might
have a spare. Also, where do you live, it might make it possible to
get one to you?.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. I've gone ahead and put in a request, guess I'll see what they say.

http://brooks.hobid.com/inventory/5275.html

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 2, 8:57*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Where I live there are a lot of junked microwaves available, as well
as working ones at Good Will and Salvation Army. *Any of those might
have a spare. *Also, where do you live, it might make it possible to
get one to you?.

Here in the Phoenix area there is a non-profit outfit called Stardust,
which mainly deals in used items from remodels - cabinets, fixtures,
stoves, etc., and uses the proceeds to help people with housing
issues. The usually have quite a selection of microwaves. Maybe you
have something similar where you live, where you could pick up a donor
microwave for cheap.

Jerry
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

My guess is that unless you can dress the contacts, you're stuck
finding something similar and adapting it to fit.

It was difficult to open the relay without destroying its internals. I
mangled the casing pretty badly while trying to ease it up and off.
It's still functional. The contacts are so badly burned that I haven't
been able to save them so far.

*With 12 volts on the coil, that points to a vast inventory of automotive
products to choose from.

I hadn't thought of that...that is a good idea. I'll have to see what
is on the market if some of the other leads don't turn anything up.

I'd let this oven go and send it toward the parts bin and recyclers,
but I hate to do that.

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

My guess is that unless you can dress the contacts, you're stuck
finding something similar and adapting it to fit.

It was difficult to open the relay without destroying its internals. I
mangled the casing pretty badly while trying to ease it up and off.
It's still functional. The contacts are so badly burned that I haven't
been able to save them so far.

With 12 volts on the coil, that points to a vast inventory of automotive
products to choose from.

I hadn't thought of that...that is a good idea. I'll have to see what
is on the market if some of the other leads don't turn anything up.

I'd let this oven go and send it toward the parts bin and recyclers,
but I hate to do that.

William

What is the contact architecture? I've seen automotive relays up to
maybe 8PDT or more. If you can find a similar, different voltage,
relay, perhaps you can swap pieces from it....

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jerry wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:57 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Where I live there are a lot of junked microwaves available, as well
as working ones at Good Will and Salvation Army. Any of those might
have a spare. Also, where do you live, it might make it possible to
get one to you?.

Here in the Phoenix area there is a non-profit outfit called Stardust,
which mainly deals in used items from remodels - cabinets, fixtures,
stoves, etc., and uses the proceeds to help people with housing
issues. The usually have quite a selection of microwaves. Maybe you
have something similar where you live, where you could pick up a donor
microwave for cheap.

Jerry

In Nashville, the Habitat for Humanity folks have a couple of stores
dedicated to 'home' stuff. One deals in appliances and architectural
pieces, while the other stocks donated housewares; although there's a
bit of overlap between them. Also quite a bit of overstock hardware
items, and mis-mixed or leftover paint.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 2, 3:27*pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
[...]

Have you checked Mouser Electronics? Their catalog has 17 pages of
PCB-mount power relays. They carry Omron relays, but not the G5G
series.
If this is the type of relay with the contact terminals sticking out
the top, they have Fujitsu, Panasonic, and OEG relays in that
configuration. The pinouts may be different than your Omron.
In that case, you'd have to drill new mounting holes in the PCB and
run jumpers to the coil pins.

Mike
WB2MEP