Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default remote control question

I have an old Mitsubishi Tv and the remote control does not work.
The only way to add cable TV stations is through the menu of the
remote control.
Can I use any universal remote control to add the stations or it has
to be a Mitsubishi remote?

thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

rogv wrote:
I have an old Mitsubishi Tv and the remote control does not work.
The only way to add cable TV stations
is through the menu of the remote control.
Can I use any universal remote control to add the stations

Well, some can be had for $5. I'd say it's worth a try.
When something says "universal" and it isn't, I take it back.

The one I'm using cost 99c and does 100% of the original for my TV,
and 95% of the original for 2 each VCRs.
For my needs, that was worth the price.

There are other units that are quite expensive.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Harmony+remote

or it has to be a Mitsubishi remote?

Got any second-hand stores near you (e.g. Salvation Army)?
Many have a bin full of old remotes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:36:33 -0800 (PST), rogv
wrote:

I have an old Mitsubishi Tv and the remote control does not work.
The only way to add cable TV stations is through the menu of the
remote control.

Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote? If yes, then
find a digital camera, point it at the LED in the remote, and watch
what happens when you press a button. You can sorta see the IR on the
camera LCD display. If that shows output, it's possible that you have
a problem in your unspecified model "old" Mitsubishi TV.

If genuinely dead, try:
http://www.replacementremotes.com/store/prodthumbs.cfm?categoryid=289
20 different remotes for Mitsubishi. One of them is probably the
original for your unspecified "old" model Mitsubishi TV.

Can I use any universal remote control to add the stations or it has
to be a Mitsubishi remote?

Maybe. My luck hasn't been too good with cheap universal remotes. The
one that came with my DirecTV (RC32) is marginal. I've tried 2 Radio
Shack models that allegedly would work with my ancient assortment of
C-band receivers. The mostly work, but there's always some button
that either missing or works strangely. I've had the best luck with
emulators running on my laptop and PDA where I can tweak the display
and limit the number of buttons to a manageable number.

If possible, get the original or as someone suggested, get an
overpriced Logitech Harmony universal remote:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=us,en

While you're at it, buy a "TV-B-Gone":
http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php
Most remote controls will turn off the TV and one other device with a
single button. My RC32 is really odd. You can use one button to turn
two devices on, but you have to use two different buttons to turn both
of them off. When I want to turn off all the boxes and gadgets, it's
real ordeal. With TV-B-Gone, one button does it all. It even works
with my video switcher and TIVO.
http://www.ladyada.net/make/tvbgone/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

you can try to test the remote control by using it on AM radio
receiver , if you hear pulsing sounds so it should work and the
problem is in your tv receiver
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bahrouz" wrote in message

you can try to test the remote control by using it on AM radio
receiver , if you hear pulsing sounds so it should work and the
problem is in your tv receiver

Remote controls don't use RF. Modern remote controls use IR (infrared). This
happens to be light and no AM radio that I am aware of detects IR signals
since they're not RF.

I believe you are thinking of some other device you can check with a AM
radio.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:28:19 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

you can try to test the remote control by using it on AM radio
receiver, if you hear pulsing sounds so it should work and the
problem is in your tv receiver

Remote controls don't use RF. Modern remote controls use IR (infrared).

Modern remote controls are going to use RF soon.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"bahrouz" wrote in message

you can try to test the remote control by using it on AM radio
receiver , if you hear pulsing sounds so it should work and the
problem is in your tv receiver

Remote controls don't use RF. Modern remote controls use IR (infrared). This
happens to be light and no AM radio that I am aware of detects IR signals
since they're not RF.

That was my initial (internal) reaction to that suggestion until I suspected
that the respondent meant to check for digital circuit RFI which the remote
may radiate and be detected by the radio (sometimes FM works better for
high clock frequency circuits, and certainly a shortwave radio would permit
tuning to a sweet spot to listen to digital noise as the various buttons
are pushed).

I will try it with various remotes and report the results; to be useful,
the noise patterns would need to map well to button presses.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

msg wrote:
Michael Kennedy wrote:

"bahrouz" wrote in message

[...]

*AND* be radically different if the IR LED is faulty. That *may* be the
case if its open circuit, but if its gone short, I'd not expect much
change. At best its a quick way of checking the RC isn't totally brain
dead.

I always favoured an IR photodiode mounted in a BNC plug with a black
rubber shroud (off a large croc clip and cut to length) to exclude
ambient light. It used to live on the 3rd channel input of the scope
when I was doing TV work. Nice clear pulse signal as the scope's
1M/30pF integrated the ~40KHz carrier so easy to check the different
buttons gave different signals.

For a rough function check I'm sure most of us know that IR is visible
on most mono and some colour video cameras so just point it at the
shop's CCTV and press the buttons. If using an unfamiliar camera try a
known good RC first to confirm the camera can see IR.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
att att is offline

"IanM" wrote in message
msg wrote:
Michael Kennedy wrote:

"bahrouz" wrote in message

[...]

Or if you have a webcam on your computer, watch your picture and push
buttons on the remote, you should see the LED flashing light blue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 12, 7:49*am, Ken wrote:

Modern remote controls are going to use RF soon.

The remotes for my Qwest 2-way cable are hybrid - IR for on/off and
volume (cuz those are TV functions), and RF for everything else (cuz
that stuff's in the gateway box).

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"att" writes:

"IanM" wrote in message
msg wrote:
Michael Kennedy wrote:

"bahrouz" wrote in message

[...]

Or one could check the IR Remote Repair FAQ. Now what a concept?

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That was my initial (internal) reaction to that suggestion until I
suspected
that the respondent meant to check for digital circuit RFI which the

remote
may radiate and be detected by the radio (sometimes FM works better for
high clock frequency circuits, and certainly a shortwave radio would

permit
tuning to a sweet spot to listen to digital noise as the various buttons
are pushed).

I thought the same thing, but if the LED were defective...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I'm interested to hear your results. I'd be surprised if a remote radiates
enough EMI to detect with an AM radio. I guess its possible, it would have
never occured to me to try this. It just seems easier to check it with a
camera, then you know (within reason) that it's working.

Mike

Remote control question SBFan2000 Electronics 33 December 8th 06 10:33 PM
TV remote control Steve IA Electronics Repair 2 January 28th 05 04:00 PM
GE TV remote control Stan Electronics Repair 1 November 9th 04 11:03 PM
remote control gaz UK diy 3 December 24th 03 08:54 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM