Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Capacitor Testing.

I currently have a LCD projector in which I believe the convergence circutry
is messing up. Since this unit has quite a few electrolytic caps in it, I
think theres a good possiblilty that there could be a few that are bad.
Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away. Ive considered buying
another meter since it would be nice to have, but is there any good way to
check these things without a meter? I have a DMM and a soldering iorn here.
thats about it. They are all small SMD caps which fortunately I think I can
get locally here.. I could probably replace all of the caps cheapr than
buying another meter, but that is a pain.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Michael Kennedy" wrote:
I currently have a LCD projector in which I believe the convergence circutry
is messing up. Since this unit has quite a few electrolytic caps in it, I
think theres a good possiblilty that there could be a few that are bad.
Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away. Ive considered buying
another meter since it would be nice to have, but is there any good way to
check these things without a meter? I have a DMM and a soldering iorn here.
thats about it. They are all small SMD caps which fortunately I think I can
get locally here.. I could probably replace all of the caps cheapr than
buying another meter, but that is a pain.

I would think you some kind of signal generator aside from ststic tests.
I get better reading from an analog meter on charging caps.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I currently have a LCD projector in which I believe the convergence
circutry is messing up. Since this unit has quite a few electrolytic caps
in it, I think theres a good possiblilty that there could be a few that are
bad. Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away. Ive considered
buying another meter since it would be nice to have, but is there any good
way to check these things without a meter? I have a DMM and a soldering
iorn here. thats about it. They are all small SMD caps which fortunately I
think I can get locally here.. I could probably replace all of the caps
cheapr than buying another meter, but that is a pain.

DMM set to AC volts. Measure both sides of the capacitor with the projector
on. In a good capacitor, the voltage will be the same or close.

Yes, I know, that is crude but sometimes effective.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away.

See http://www.anatekcorp.com/ttg/tiptrick.htm#Scope%20ESR
and find "Scope ESR - submitted by Michael Mayerhofer" on
the page.

Or
http://octopus.freeyellow.com/esr.html
ESR Testing

Or
http://octopus.freeyellow.com/99.html
99 Cent ESR Test Adapter

Regards,
H.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Heinz Schmitz" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:

Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away.

See http://www.anatekcorp.com/ttg/tiptrick.htm#Scope%20ESR
and find "Scope ESR - submitted by Michael Mayerhofer" on
the page.

Or
http://octopus.freeyellow.com/esr.html
ESR Testing

Or
http://octopus.freeyellow.com/99.html
99 Cent ESR Test Adapter

Regards,
H.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I didn't know about these tricks.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Michael Kennedy" wrote:

"Heinz Schmitz" wrote in message
.. .
Michael Kennedy wrote:

Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away.

See http://www.anatekcorp.com/ttg/tiptrick.htm#Scope%20ESR
and find "Scope ESR - submitted by Michael Mayerhofer" on
the page.

Or
http://octopus.freeyellow.com/esr.html
ESR Testing

Or
http://octopus.freeyellow.com/99.html
99 Cent ESR Test Adapter

Regards,
H.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I didn't know about these tricks.

I think you could also use just a meter instead of oscilloscope.

greg

capacitor swapu Home Repair 7 December 25th 08 05:53 PM
Capacitor value Golf Electronics Repair 10 November 16th 06 07:19 AM
Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor Robowang Electronics Repair 13 October 18th 06 08:11 PM
Capacitor Value bill Electronics Repair 4 June 2nd 06 01:54 AM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM