Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Apple Powermac G4 power supply

hi all...

any idea as what to check on these units?

i assume recap or at least look/smell around for burnt
electrolytics...

anything known to go bad on thes units?

any chance of getting a service manual?

cheers,

nate

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

any idea as what to check on these units?

Which particular G4 do you have? There are a few different supplies in
use, some across more than one model.

They seem to be pretty good quality, I have some that have run around
the clock for pretty much the past eight years.

i assume recap or at least look/smell around for
burnt electrolytics...

I would definitely check that. When working with even a moderate load,
these supplies run warm and don't move much air through the casing.

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 7, 4:34*am, Nelson wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:56:27 -0500, n8ball wrote
(in article
):

hi all...

any idea as what to check on these units?

i assume recap or at least look/smell around for burnt
electrolytics...

anything known to go bad on thes units?

any chance of getting a service manual?

cheers,

nate

The Official Apple Service Manuals are available from several different
sources online but they focus on problem isolation to the module level
and then replacement of the module. *That is, all they will tell you is
to replace the power supply and tell you how to do it. *I have never
seen a schematic of an Apple product after the Apple IIe... and I have
looked :-)

--
Nelson

ok thanks!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 6, 2:32*pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Hi!

any idea as what to check on these units?

Which particular G4 do you have? There are a few different supplies in
use, some across more than one model.

They seem to be pretty good quality, I have some that have run around
the clock for pretty much the past eight years.

i assume recap or at least look/smell around for
burnt electrolytics...

I would definitely check that. When working with even a moderate load,
these supplies run warm and don't move much air through the casing.

William

i have the "windtunnel" powermac g4 MDD 2003

they used to have a power supply exchange program but alas this is
long gone (i called apple support) :^(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Nelson wrote in news:0001HW.C5B2BFB801179626F0182648
@news.astraweb.com:

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:56:27 -0500, n8ball wrote
(in article
):

hi all...

any idea as what to check on these units?

i assume recap or at least look/smell around for burnt
electrolytics...

anything known to go bad on thes units?

any chance of getting a service manual?

cheers,

nate

The Official Apple Service Manuals are available from several different
sources online but they focus on problem isolation to the module level
and then replacement of the module. That is, all they will tell you is
to replace the power supply and tell you how to do it. I have never
seen a schematic of an Apple product after the Apple IIe... and I have
looked :-)

Have yet to hear from the owner, but I think I 'fixed' an Apple power
supply last week.

Symptoms: intermittent shutdown/lockup of the computer.

Opened it up, visual instpection. I saw a cap with the 'bulgies'.
Obtained a new cap with identical ratings (including temp) and replaced it.

If there are still problems, I will bring my ESR meter from home and
check/replace the rest of the bad caps.

I understand that many Apple power supplies are failing and the
replacements are expensive.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

they used to have a power supply exchange program but
alas this is long gone (i called apple support) :^(

You may ask an Apple authorized reseller and service center if they
can help. I have one in my area, and when I called about a power
supply for a Quicksilver 2002 G4 system, they assured me I could get
one.

That was about a year ago, and the Quicksilver 2001 systems have or
will be losing parts support for now.

I did not end up needing to order one, so I don't recall the cost. It
turned out that the supply in question simply needed to be unplugged
for a bit to restore normal operation. I'm not sure why it acted that
way, it is still running to this day.

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 6, 9:56*am, n8ball wrote:
hi all...

any idea as what to check on these units?

Don't assume it's the power supply until you have
reset the motherboard. Some kinds of (power surge
or other) faults result in a shutdown that requires
a motherboard reset button be pressed, or (if you
can't find the button) remove the clock battery
for a few minutes, then reinstall.

Cable and mounting details are slightly different from
commercial replacement supplies, you'll have to
get an Apple replacement, or open the power supply
up for component-level troubleshooting if reset doesn't
fix the problem.