Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Repairing flat cable

I have a piece of gear that uses a "cable" consisting of printed circuit
traces laminated between two pieces of dark orange plastic (Kynar???).
The cable was torn in two, and I need to repair it. If I could remove
about an eighth of an inch of the insulation on one side of each end, I
could lap them and solder the conductors. The plastic it totally
resistant to every solvent I have on hand, and a 750F soldering iron has
no effect.

Does anybody know of a solvent for the plastic, or some other way to
strip the traces?

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

isw wrote in news:isw-0C56E4.21390421122008@
[216.168.3.50]:

I have a piece of gear that uses a "cable" consisting of printed circuit
traces laminated between two pieces of dark orange plastic (Kynar???).

Low melting point, 117 C. Not likely.
Perhaps PEEK
http://www.sdplastics.com/peek.html

The cable was torn in two, and I need to repair it. If I could remove
about an eighth of an inch of the insulation on one side of each end, I
could lap them and solder the conductors. The plastic it totally
resistant to every solvent I have on hand, and a 750F soldering iron has
no effect.

Does anybody know of a solvent for the plastic, or some other way to
strip the traces?

Have you tried a razor blade along the surface of the conductor? You may be
able to mechanically split it away from the conductor.

How about grinding it away?

HOT Di-Methyl-Formamide (DMF) will breakdown most plastics but it can be
rough on metals also.
It is also nasty stuff to work with. A well equipped chem lab, Gloves,
hood, face shield, apron.
In the late 60's, when I worked for Sprague, we used to use it to remove
molded epoxy cases from capacitors so we could do fault analysis on the
ceramic chips.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"isw" wrote in message
]...
I have a piece of gear that uses a "cable" consisting of printed circuit
traces laminated between two pieces of dark orange plastic (Kynar???).
The cable was torn in two, and I need to repair it. If I could remove
about an eighth of an inch of the insulation on one side of each end, I
could lap them and solder the conductors. The plastic it totally
resistant to every solvent I have on hand, and a 750F soldering iron has
no effect.

Does anybody know of a solvent for the plastic, or some other way to
strip the traces?

Isaac

The plastic can often be 'stripped' with a blunt(ish) curve-bladed scalpel,
scraped across the surface, with it on a flat hard surface such as an old
ceramic tile. Having said that, I have found that the orange ones such as
you used to find in Panasonic answer machines and on Pioneer lasers, are
much more resistant to any kind of stripping, than the white ones. You might
also try ally oxide paper such as you might use for flatting a paint surface
on a car body.

If you manage to get a connection that works ok, I would suggest that it is
then covered with something like a bead of silicone rubber (not the bathroom
sealer type which releases acetic acid as it cures) to help relieve any
stress on the joints, if it is in an application where it flexes in normal
use. If it is not, and you can't get a good connection, you could consider
just hard wiring between the two boards that it connects. If it is socketed
at both ends, replacement flexiprints in many different pitch, ways and
length configurations, are available.

For instance

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...6&keywords=FPC

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

isw wrote in message
]...
I have a piece of gear that uses a "cable" consisting of printed circuit
traces laminated between two pieces of dark orange plastic (Kynar???).
The cable was torn in two, and I need to repair it. If I could remove
about an eighth of an inch of the insulation on one side of each end, I
could lap them and solder the conductors. The plastic it totally
resistant to every solvent I have on hand, and a 750F soldering iron has
no effect.

Does anybody know of a solvent for the plastic, or some other way to
strip the traces?

Isaac

A small cylindrical centrided burr in a dremmel can be useful for stripping
back, surprisingly controllable if you hold it the "right" way round so it
doesn't skud.

Or make up some fine wire plaited braid to replace the whole thing

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
I have a piece of gear that uses a "cable" consisting of printed circuit
traces laminated between two pieces of dark orange plastic (Kynar???).
The cable was torn in two, and I need to repair it. If I could remove
about an eighth of an inch of the insulation on one side of each end, I
could lap them and solder the conductors. The plastic it totally
resistant to every solvent I have on hand, and a 750F soldering iron has
no effect.

Does anybody know of a solvent for the plastic, or some other way to
strip the traces?

Isaac

A small cylindrical centrided burr in a dremmel can be useful for stripping
back, surprisingly controllable if you hold it the "right" way round so it
doesn't skud.

Or make up some fine wire plaited braid to replace the whole thing

It's in the lens assembly of a small camera. The cable is less than 0.25
cm wide, and has twelve conductors (I had to use a loupe to count them).
Making a replacement is probably not in the cards.

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article 39,
bz wrote:

[...]

Tried scraping, sanding, and abrading with a rotary abrasive-fiber wheel
-- everything I tried destroyed the traces...

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
[...]

Don't you just HATE that sinking feeling you get in your stomach when
something like this happens, especially when it's a customer's unit ... :-(

Long experience of working with flexiprints of all descriptions, leads me to
believe that you are really going to struggle to reliably repair one that
small and fine-pitched. I suppose it would be really silly to ask if there's
any chance at all of getting a replacement ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

isw wrote:

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
[...]

I have seen these replaced by insulated winding wire, e.g. from a relay coil
(maybe 0.002 inch or 50 micron wire). On the other hand I would not do
this for a customer since it may not be reliable in the long term. It
might be worthwhile for fixing you own stuff, however.
Chris
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
[...]

Yeah, and especially because I've fixed two of these cameras previously
(there's a design weakness in a supporting strut inside the lens; a bit
of brass tubing and some epoxy is all it takes). This time, the strut
was fine but somebody had spilled something like orange juice in the
camera, and the moving parts got all gunky and sticky. I think that's
what tore the cable.

Long experience of working with flexiprints of all descriptions, leads me to
believe that you are really going to struggle to reliably repair one that
small and fine-pitched. I suppose it would be really silly to ask if there's
any chance at all of getting a replacement ?

The only way would be to get a good cable from another scrapped out
camera (which this one now is). The cable terminates on the "sled" that
carries the anti-shake lens, and the driving coils for that are etched
right onto the orange plastic substrate; there are not any "terminals"
to attach replacement wires to...

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
[...]

:-(

[...]

Ah well, some ya win, some ya lose ... At least if the owner has filled the
thing up with juice, there's justification for declaring it BER, and at
least it's not a problem that you have caused whilst repairing some really
simple thing. That one's the killer. When you've fixed the dirty volume
control with a lttle squib of switch cleaner, and then you drop your
screwdriver into the output stage ... :-\

Have a good 'un

Arfa

Repairing a flat roof Jim UK diy 2 May 18th 08 09:43 AM
Repairing TFT TV (flat chance ..) ;-( T i m UK diy 31 September 9th 05 06:37 PM
Repairing a cable chase Dave UK diy 5 May 13th 05 12:27 AM
Repairing UF cable Budman Home Repair 6 May 2nd 05 02:56 PM
Repairing Flat Roof John UK diy 1 April 12th 05 07:25 PM