Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Repairing flat cable

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
I have a piece of gear that uses a "cable" consisting of printed
circuit
traces laminated between two pieces of dark orange plastic (Kynar???).
The cable was torn in two, and I need to repair it. If I could remove
about an eighth of an inch of the insulation on one side of each end, I
could lap them and solder the conductors. The plastic it totally
resistant to every solvent I have on hand, and a 750F soldering iron
has
no effect.

Does anybody know of a solvent for the plastic, or some other way to
strip the traces?

Isaac

A small cylindrical centrided burr in a dremmel can be useful for
stripping
back, surprisingly controllable if you hold it the "right" way round so
it
doesn't skud.

Or make up some fine wire plaited braid to replace the whole thing

It's in the lens assembly of a small camera. The cable is less than 0.25
cm wide, and has twelve conductors (I had to use a loupe to count them).
Making a replacement is probably not in the cards.

Isaac

Don't you just HATE that sinking feeling you get in your stomach when
something like this happens, especially when it's a customer's unit ... :-(

Long experience of working with flexiprints of all descriptions, leads me to
believe that you are really going to struggle to reliably repair one that
small and fine-pitched. I suppose it would be really silly to ask if there's
any chance at all of getting a replacement ?

Arfa