Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

Default Marshall DSL50 chA/chB output levels

What would normal variation in volume be between channel A and channel B
operation ? Between classic and ultra gain for a given pickup source, for a
given gain and volume setting on channel A of say 6, would give about the
same output seitching to the B channel controls set at what sort of
numbers?

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair
WB WB is offline

?

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 23, 11:10*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
What would normal variation in volume be between channel A and channel B
operation ? Between classic and ultra gain for a given pickup source, for a
given gain and volume setting on channel A of say 6, would give about the
same output seitching to the B channel *controls set at what sort of
numbers?

I had one-a those in for repair a while back and noticed the output
level was less on one ch than the other at the same master settings.
Couldn't find anything at fault so I assume its just the design. Don't
mean it makes sense tho.....I thought it was strange.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

boardjunkie wrote in message
On Nov 23, 11:10 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
What would normal variation in volume be between channel A and channel B
operation ? Between classic and ultra gain for a given pickup source, for

given gain and volume setting on channel A of say 6, would give about the
same output seitching to the B channel controls set at what sort of
numbers?

I had one-a those in for repair a while back and noticed the output
level was less on one ch than the other at the same master settings.
Couldn't find anything at fault so I assume its just the design. Don't
mean it makes sense tho.....I thought it was strange.

The "classic" channel always seem to have less overall gain but the amp in
front of me is about 3 to 1 down. Amp is new to the owner and concerned
about it but he is not familiar with it or similar. All valves check out
fine as does anything else in the chA section that could be normally
problematic. Dis find 2 bad solder points in the power supply but no
intermittent noises/distortion reported so that would have been a future
problem but not causing marked gain difference.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 23, 11:10 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

correction, about 2 to 1 down , going by the numbering around the knobs

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 23, 11:10 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

The 'ultra gain' channel is louder, it`s intended to be. The clue is in
the name of the channel. On my MG50 channel two sounds way louder for
the same input settings, part of that is more gain and part is due to
the dirtier sound.

Ron(UK)
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

Ron Johnson wrote in message

On Nov 23, 11:10 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

I agree it should be like that but cannot find any manufacturer's data or
ucen user experience .
New and inexperienced owner was of the opinion it is a fault, I know its
always A less overall output than B setting for setting ( on the few I've
repaired} but I cannot find any specific data to quantify/check it. Did find
2 bad solder joints, unrelated, that would have soon made their presence
felt, having a good root around to find the "fault".

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

I agree it should be like that but cannot find any manufacturer's data or
ucen user experience .

For what it's worth, mine sounds about the same on both channels. The
different certainly isn't significant enough to matter.