Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need info on oening a Viewsonic Optiquest Q9 LCD Monitor

I have been given a Viewsonic Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor, manufactured
in 2006, being thrown out because "it doesn't light up". When I
plugged it in, I got a brief "no signal" message on a dark background
screen, then the screen went entirely dark. I tried looking at the
screen illuminated with a bright light, but couldn't see anything at
all. I suspect the backlight, but how does the unit come apart? I
can't see any plugs to remove. Does the screen just pry apart? I
don't want to mar the appearance around the perimeter of the unit if
there is something I am overlooking to take it apart.

TIA,

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:32:20 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

I have been given a Viewsonic Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor, manufactured
in 2006, being thrown out because "it doesn't light up". When I
plugged it in, I got a brief "no signal" message on a dark background
screen, then the screen went entirely dark. I tried looking at the
screen illuminated with a bright light, but couldn't see anything at
all. I suspect the backlight, but how does the unit come apart? I
can't see any plugs to remove. Does the screen just pry apart? I
don't want to mar the appearance around the perimeter of the unit if
there is something I am overlooking to take it apart.

TIA,

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Pretty much all lcd monitors are 'clipped' together at the seams.
Using a screwdriver or any metal tool will almost certainly damage the
plastic.

I use credits cards (old, or unwanted ones received in the mail) to
pry the seams apart. Some monitors come apart rather easily while
others are very difficult to open up. Have never damaged anything
using the credit card method. Sometimes doubling the credit cards to
obtain a thicker 'tool', with the resultant increased prying/levering
power, is necessary.

I've seen it suggested on the Net that guitar picks will also do the
job. Recently came across these 'tools' on eBay that could probably do
the job, but have not tried either these or guitar picks.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Repair-Tool-for-T...1%7C240%3A1318
Wayne
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

the job, but have not tried either these or guitar picks.http://cgi.ebay.ca/Repair-Tool-for-T...v680-Plastic-B...
Wayne

Wayne:

Thanks for the reply, first thing tomorrow I will try your technique.
It's pretty much what info I was hoping for. Some laptops have rubber
plugs around the screen, but nothing on this monitor.

Bob H
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I have been given a Viewsonic Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor, manufactured
in 2006, being thrown out because "it doesn't light up". *When I
plugged it in, I got a brief "no signal" message on a dark background
screen, then the screen went entirely dark. *I tried looking at the
screen illuminated with a bright light, but couldn't see anything at
all. *I suspect the backlight, but how does the unit come apart? *I
can't see any plugs to remove. *Does the screen just pry apart? * I
don't want to mar the appearance around the perimeter of the unit if
there is something I am overlooking to take it apart.

TIA,

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Here's a link to the steps (with pictures) that I followed to open and
repair a LiquidVideo 17" LCD monitor:http://www.wizardanswers.com/liquidvideorepair.html

John

Well. I got the monitor apart ok, but the 2000V ac supply to the 4
fluorescent tubes around the two side of the monitor was dead, and the
PWB for the supply was a multilayer board, so I decided I had better
things to do with my time and it is now residing in the local area
recycling box for metals, the rest is going to the dump.

Thansks,

Bob Hofmann