Ian St. John

Default Optiquest V95 monitor

I have a monitor with the rather predictable failure of (the deflection
process? ) IC. No schematic but I think someone told me it was a TDA 2416?
At any rate, I want to get it repaired but the shop can't get the part
except in quantity. Anyone familiar with the monitor ( and knows about this
recurrent failure ) that knows where to get a single item part ( $20-$25) ?
I've already paid him for the repair. He replaced other parts that got it to
run for a short while, but it failed fairly quickly on gettting it back.

Symptoms are, no picture at all(completely blank), but steady green
light(video signal detected).

Not worth putting a lot of money into, but I'd like to get it working.

--
Ian St. John

Embedded Software Development

Jerry G.

Only their authorized service centre can have the parts. If you gave the
monitor to a TV shop or a general repair place, the manufacture will not
sell them the parts. Your service person most likely tried to buy the part
generically. In this case he would have to buy a complete reel of this type
of part. Some of these parts don't sell very much, therefore the
distributors will not break a reel.

If the monitor is more than about 5 years of age, the manufacture may say
that they don't support it anymore. This is another consideration to factor
in.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Ian St. John" wrote in message
I have a monitor with the rather predictable failure of (the deflection
process? ) IC. No schematic but I think someone told me it was a TDA 2416?
At any rate, I want to get it repaired but the shop can't get the part
except in quantity. Anyone familiar with the monitor ( and knows about this
recurrent failure ) that knows where to get a single item part ( $20-$25) ?
I've already paid him for the repair. He replaced other parts that got it to
run for a short while, but it failed fairly quickly on gettting it back.

Symptoms are, no picture at all(completely blank), but steady green
light(video signal detected).

Not worth putting a lot of money into, but I'd like to get it working.

--
Ian St. John

Embedded Software Development

Ian St. John

Jerry G. wrote:
Only their authorized service centre can have the parts. If you gave
the monitor to a TV shop or a general repair place, the manufacture
will not sell them the parts. Your service person most likely tried
to buy the part generically. In this case he would have to buy a
complete reel of this type of part. Some of these parts don't sell
very much, therefore the distributors will not break a reel.

If the monitor is more than about 5 years of age, the manufacture may
say that they don't support it anymore. This is another consideration
to factor in.

Thank you for an informative but most unhelpful message. The monitor is
1999 so it is getting on 5 years. Optiquest is a 'generic' ( lower cost,
i.e. oem) viewsonic so it didn't have a five year warranty in the first
place. Therefore it is silly to take it to an 'authorised dealer'. The parts
come three to a package plus shipping($C65/package, $C20+ shipping), but
there must be places out there that bought three and still have two left
over. It is silly to junk fifty pounds of good electronics for 0.1grams of
silicon, don't you think? Howevever with $C80-$C90 just to get ONE stupid
little part, and a history of that part failing about every two years like
clockwork, the monitor isn't worth fixing unless I CAN locate a single part.

--

Jerry G.
=====