Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Grounding of metal casing of Mini-Hifi

Hi,

I recently bought a mini Hifi system which has a metal casing and came with
a 2 pin power plug. There is a tingle sensation whenever I touch the casing
accidentally.

When I connect it to my TV one day and found it has no more tingle
sensation, I discovered it was because it was grounded via the TV as I also
have my PC connected to this TV. I used a multimedia to verify it was
indeed connected to ground.

Can I connect it to earth ground to eliminate this tingle sensation? Or it
should be left floating?

--
With Warmest Regards,
Chin Siong

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

CS Hong wrote:
Hi,

I recently bought a mini Hifi system which has a metal casing and came with
a 2 pin power plug. There is a tingle sensation whenever I touch the casing
accidentally.

When I connect it to my TV one day and found it has no more tingle
sensation, I discovered it was because it was grounded via the TV as I also
have my PC connected to this TV. I used a multimedia to verify it was
indeed connected to ground.

Can I connect it to earth ground to eliminate this tingle sensation? Or it
should be left floating?

Ground loops are not a very good idea, so grounding at
one point for your tv/computer/hifi is the best way to do it.
So, if things go all to the same power outlet, additional
grounding is oke, else, leave things as they are.
The tingle you feel is no problem, it comes from filter caps
in the hifi and computer, and is totally safe, the caps
dont leak enough mains power to hurt.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This is not normal, and indicates poor design or something wrong with your
particular sample.

You might try reversing the plug in the wall outlet.