Robert11

Default Grounding a Metal Gang Box ?

Hello:

In a series of posts a while back, it was generally agreed that one
should, to be code compliant, use a "dedicated" grounding screw to
fasten the green wire to a metal gang switch/outlet box.

Also, that using the screw that held the box against a wooden stud was not
acceptable.

Can't find any metal boxes in my local hardware store that comes with a
dedicated
grounding screw, or does there seem to be a threaded hole for.

Would like to do it correctly.

The boxes I have seen have 2 screws for fastening a clamp against the NM
wire where it enters the
box on one end, and 2 more for a clamp on the other end.

Does it satisfy the code to use one of the screws that is Not holding any NM
wire in place as the "grounding screw" ?

B.

Doug Miller

In article , "Robert11" wrote:

Does it satisfy the code to use one of the screws that is Not holding any NM
wire in place as the "grounding screw" ?

Yes.

Note, also, that the Code _specifically_prohibits_ using a screw that *is*
holding NM cable in place, for any other purpose.

--
Regards,

The Real Tom

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:54:39 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

In a series of posts a while back, it was generally agreed that one
should, to be code compliant, use a "dedicated" grounding screw to
fasten the green wire to a metal gang switch/outlet box.

Also, that using the screw that held the box against a wooden stud was not
acceptable.

Can't find any metal boxes in my local hardware store that comes with a
dedicated
grounding screw, or does there seem to be a threaded hole for.

Would like to do it correctly.

The boxes I have seen have 2 screws for fastening a clamp against the NM
wire where it enters the
box on one end, and 2 more for a clamp on the other end.

Does it satisfy the code to use one of the screws that is Not holding any NM
wire in place as the "grounding screw" ?

B.

imho:

When looking at the back of a metal box, you should see one hole that
has threads. It might look smaller than the other holes.

Next time you are in the store ask someone there to show you one.

BTW, if you still can't figure out how to ground a box, then get a
nonmetalic one.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
Paul Franklin

wrote:

Hello:

In a series of posts a while back, it was generally agreed that one
should, to be code compliant, use a "dedicated" grounding screw to
fasten the green wire to a metal gang switch/outlet box.

Also, that using the screw that held the box against a wooden stud was not
acceptable.

Can't find any metal boxes in my local hardware store that comes with a
dedicated
grounding screw, or does there seem to be a threaded hole for.

snip

Often the hole isn't threaded. When you buy the green grounding
pigtail with one end already wrapped around a screw, the screw is
self-tapping and will make it's own threads. Often you will see 3 or
4 holes in the box and one or two will be slightly smaller. These are
the ones that the screw will fit.

HTH,

Paul

Paul

Can't find any metal boxes in my local hardware store that comes with a
dedicated
grounding screw, or does there seem to be a threaded hole for.

I just noticed the other day looking at metal boxes in Home Depot, some now
have a raised "bubble" with a threaded grounding screw hole, so you can
mount the box flush on a hard surface and fasten the grounding screw without
interference from the material behind the box.

-- Paul

The Real Tom

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:11:13 -0500, "Paul"
wrote:

Can't find any metal boxes in my local hardware store that comes with a
dedicated
grounding screw, or does there seem to be a threaded hole for.

I just noticed the other day looking at metal boxes in Home Depot, some now
have a raised "bubble" with a threaded grounding screw hole, so you can
mount the box flush on a hard surface and fasten the grounding screw without
interference from the material behind the box.

Oh yeah, when mounting a handy box, I now look for that bubble. Life
is good!

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

-- Paul

Grounding A Metal (outlet) Gang Box Question Robert11 Home Repair 6 March 6th 05 03:27 PM
grounding water pipe William Deans Home Repair 50 February 19th 05 04:09 AM
Grounding a generator Robert Morein Home Repair 38 December 30th 04 04:05 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM