Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Do remotes talk to each other?

I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Lou wrote:

I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou

I don't think it can be the remotes. The A/C is probably creating a
transient on the power line to which the entertainment center is
responding.

Try plugging the entertainment center in to a different wall socket
(on a different branch from the breaker box). You could also meter
the power at it as the A/C cycles and see whether there's a mini
"brownout" when it comes on.

Faster transients can sometimes be dealt with through the use of
ferrite cores.

In the worst case, a mini-UPS or voltage stabilizing transformer could
be used.